"Potsdam - town of palaces, parks and water" Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam by Raimix
Potsdam Travel Guide: 389 reviews and 1,271 photos
As I heard about Potsdam before as about residential place, also as Potsdam conference center and place, where often excursion from Lithuania were organized, I decided to visit it. Surely it was a good decision, it made a nice impression despite unusually cold weather in first half of June 2012.
It was a day trip from Berlin. Actually a day was enough, but a bit in hurry and without visiting any museum. Potsdam is quite interesting, with a centrally located old town (at least that left after Second World War), big parks with residential places (the most famous - Sanssouci) and of course, water - this you could see from Potsdam's map.
First time Potsdam was mentioned already in 993, as Poztupimi with Slavic castle. In medieval times most of locals here were fishers, also it is known it had a castle. The turning point of Potsdam was the middle of 17th century, when Frederick William have chosen it as a residence. So, later 18th and 19th century it was a place of residential palaces of Prussian kings with bustling style of baroque, also copies of Ancient Rome buildings and interesting modern inventions. In 1945 probably the most popular event happened in Potsdam - agreement of Potsdam was signed. After it intensive reconstruction of old part was started, as it was hardly devastated in time of war.
- Pros:Beautiful palaces, parks.
- Cons:Still some recostruction works.
- In a nutshell:Potsdam - good place for lovers of palaces and nature.
It seems that rulers of Prussia were not only well educated, knowing different styles of architecture, but also... more travel advice
Lithuanian travel agencies organize excursions to Berlin, also Potsdam. So, as I heard before, 'it is very hard to... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Potsdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanssouci Royal Park"
- "Potsdam, More than Princes, Parks and Palaces"
- "Potsdam - town of palaces, parks and water"
- "Potsdam for a dessert after Berlin"
- "Potsdam and Cecilienhof"
- "Palaces and History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Potsdam
- Hotels in Potsdam
- Transportation in Potsdam
- Nightlife in Potsdam
- Restaurants in Potsdam
- Shopping in Potsdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Potsdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Potsdam
- 25 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Potsdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Potsdam
- updated a Potsdam Travel Page "Potsdam - town of palaces, parks and water"
- Posted in Travel Vilnius Forum "Re: shopping in vilnius"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Potsdam - town of palaces, parks and water"
- Wrote a Review Copies from different nations and historic styles in Potsdam Favorites
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Potsdam travel pages
Photos in PotsdamSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos