"Aglona - most Northern land of Catholics in Europe" Aglona by Raimix
Aglona Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
I was always thinking about more interesting places in Latvia than Eastern part of it (Aglona, Daugavpils, Kraslava), that is not so touristy and quite low in economical development, but I got chance to visit it because of one last minute suggestion. I got a free seat for such excursion, which was planned by my aunt’s company (it works on youth tourism and regional studies).
First stop was Aglona.
Aglona is a village in East Latvia. It is a territory of Catholicity of Latvia, which is not the main religion in Latvia (main is Lutheranism).
Aglona couldn’t be so interesting itself as a village, but the main construction popularizing it is famous Basilica with saint Madonna painting. The destination is called “the most Northern place of Catholicism in Europe”. As it is known, countries, located more north is Lutheran – Estonia, Finland, and Northern territory of Latvia.
Word “Aglona” have roots from Latvian word “Agla”, that means fir; in Lithuanian it will be “Eglė”.
- Pros:Looking like peace of Lithuania in Latvia.
- Cons:Nothing much to see.
- In a nutshell:It is the most Northern place for Catholics of Europe.
Saint stream is actually not saint; it is not based on religion. It was because of period from beginning of 19th to end... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Aglona
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Aglona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aglona
Photos in AglonaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos