"Kuldiga - the home of longest waterfall in Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga by Raimix
Kuldiga Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 100 photos
It is a place I liked very much, but spend not so much time to see all essential and fell much of it. Actually we took a tour, like not too much strictly planned excursion, but due to hurry to reach Ventspils, we spent in Kuldiga just few hours.
Anyway, town is a nice one, full of old houses (from 17 – 18th centuries) as well as such places as highest waterfall in Latvia or longest one in Europe. It is said it is one of the most attractive towns in Western Latvia.
It was first mentioned in 1242 as a location of Livonian Order castle. In 1561 for some time it was a capital of Duchy of Courland. The place was famous for ship building. Actually it was very much devastated in Northern War (1700-1721), the moment when castle was destroyed as well.
Nowadays place is popular for tourism, cinema making, as some places look quite cozy and not so much changed from 17th or 18th centuries.
- Pros:Cozy, feeling it is still old times here, nice waterfall.
- Cons:Nothing, just needed more time to spend here.
- In a nutshell:Town still not too much “touched”, with an old spirit.
Despite of Kuldiga’s main river is Venta, it has some channels around, like in Venice or Amsterdam. Of course, these... more travel advice
It is quite interesting attraction for people who visit Kuldiga region and Latvia. Actually it is sand tunnels to walk... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Kuldiga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Abava Valley"
- "Kuldiga - the home of longest waterfall in Europe"
- "Kuldīga, here it's still middle ages!"
- "Kuldiga, my favourite city in Kurzeme"
- "Bonio in Kuldiga"
- "Kuldiga and it's neighbours"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuldiga
- Hotels in Kuldiga
- Transportation in Kuldiga
- Restaurants in Kuldiga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuldiga
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Kuldiga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuldiga
Photos in KuldigaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos