"Riga - biggest town in Baltic States" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga by Raimix

Riga Travel Guide: 1,534 reviews and 3,861 photos

It was long time ago I first started to think about going to Riga - not so far, good communication, so on...but I had not much time and money and didn't know any person in Riga. The things changed after joining HC club and when in September's few days I planed what to see, what HC members to meet. So, from October 1 morning I sat to bus and at 12:00 I was in Latvia's capital Riga. I had 3 days to see Riga, till October 3 evening. It was enough to see main sights. First day I have just walked around and have visited Riga's ZOO, had salsa party; second day was the tour of old part of Riga; third day - centre, jugendstill buildings...

Old town and the centre are not so much walking time from the bus station - I walked just 5 minutes to meet locals and see Riga. So, I started to take a walk watching Riga old town's gothic spires of churches, narrow streets...

I should say it is nice town with great old town, green parks, charming centre, very wide river Daugava.

It was my first travel alone, but I enjoyed it and felt like at home – languages a bit similar, not far from Lithuania, food like the same too :) I am sure to come back to capital of Latvia sooner or later to see and feel more!

I hope to show Riga to you as well, and maybe you will make any opinion about this city too, just take a look at other tips.

• Pros:Small, but cosy and beautiful old town, big centre, jugendstil, great river Daugava
  • Cons:Not much crosswalks in town :)
  • In a nutshell:It is like mix of Budapest and Vienna to me!
  • Last visit to Riga: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 12, 2012

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Excellent page, Raimundas! It brings me back to the Soviet times when I used to visit it several times on business and on holiday. Hope to come back again someday and see all the changes...

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 6:05 AM

very interesting city I would like to visit one day (it is the only Baltic capital I don't visit among former Soviet republics). really funny to see the remains of Berlin wall here...

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2011 at 7:52 AM

thx for visiting my Buyukada page. I liked your pages too. I'll visit them.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Very helpful tips! We are looking forward to visiting Riga in September!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 7:28 AM

Simply excellent! I like Riga a lot and sometimes transited through there with one night in between.

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Beautiful page and tips about Riga!! Thanks for comments on my Chelmno and Torun pages! There is no so nice cities in Estonia like they, only Tallinn is:)

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 6:59 AM

Excellent page! Riga seems to be a fantastic place and I really look forward to it! Interesting fact about part of the Berlin Wall there!

• stefantung's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2007 at 10:06 AM

A very detailed Riga travel page ~~~ And a nice city, Riga ! Your travel page helps me prepare the trip to Riga. Thank you so much !

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 4:05 AM

Wonderful city! I have really nice memories of it. Wish to visit again. Bye bye.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 7:35 AM

Excellent page about Riga, Raimundas! I'm looking forward to visiting the Baltic states from 2007 or 2008.

Raimix

“Be creator, not destroyer ;)”

Badges & Stats in Riga