"Visegrad - hilly little town with castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Visegrad by Raimix
Visegrad Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 83 photos
I live in country without any big mountains, without so big river like Danube is and this trip to Visegrad let me to see flat Danube and stunning mountains.
In 1009 the first written source mentioned Visegrád as the bailiff seat founded by St. Stephen. The fortification system was erected after the Mongol invasion around 1250-1260 by Béla IV and his wife, Queen Mary. Later the castle was fortified by Chares Robert and more later by Matthias Hunyady, reconstructed it to palace.
The most interesting landmark of Visegrad is castle of Visegrad. This building can be seen on the big (about 350 meters) mountain, the panorama from this mountain then climbing to castle is fantastic - with the river, little town Visegrad, other mountains on the horizon.
So, I recommend you to go to this place, especially then visiting Budapest, because it is about 40 km from the capital of Hungary.
- Pros:Beautiful panoramas, historical place
- In a nutshell:Small, but charming and gloriuos
As I said before, I havent seen much mountains in my live. The most interesting thing was panorama. I just can... more travel advice
It is nice - castle is not empty inside - it houses small shop and museum. Museum shows the history of items to... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Visegrad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visegrad - hilly little town with castle"
- "the upper castle"
- "Perched on a hill and steeped in history"
- "Explore the Danube-benk"
- "Closing Early"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Visegrad
- Transportation in Visegrad
- Restaurants in Visegrad
- Shopping in Visegrad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Visegrad
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Visegrad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Visegrad
- Posted in Travel Vilnius Forum "Re: shopping in vilnius"
- Commented on one of mindcrime's Visegrad travel pages
- updated a Visegrad Travel Page "Visegrad - hilly little town with castle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visegrad - hilly little town with castle"
- Wrote a Review Magical athmosphere in Visegrad Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos