"Tallinn - medieval spirit city" Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn by Raimix
Tallinn Travel Guide: 1,782 reviews and 4,804 photos
I wanted to visit Estonia and firstly capital Tallinn for maybe already 5 years, but I always changed it to other travel destinations. Finally I visited it in 2007 July - explored Tallinn in 3 days. I should say it was enough to feel Tallinn and see main sights as whole old town, Kadriorg Park with buildings here, Pirita monastery ruins and beach.
First day I have explored Kadriorg park and some parts of old town, second day I went to see Russalka monument, visited more old town and the third (and last day) I went to Pirita monastery ruins, beach and Tallinn new town with some newer Lutheran churches, skyscrapers and Radisson SAS hotel panoramas of Tallinn.
It is medieval feeling city, still having old town defensive walls and towers left, bigger part of Toompea castle, unique old town hall and much residential houses from medieval times. Most long spire Lutheran churches in old town dates back to 13th century.
Tallinn has rich history. It could be a mix of history, architecture, religions and cultures of Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Russia and Estonia. The name of Tallinn means "Danish city", as in 1219 Danish forces occupied Tallinn. In 1346 Denmark have sold Tallinn to Teutonic Knights. At the year of 1561 Sweden occupied Tallinn and in 1710 Tallinn was taken by Tsarist Russia. So, Tallinn belonged to Estonia is only in first independence times (1918-1940) and now from 1991.
Tallinn is the main port of Estonia and it is a good place to continue traveling to Finland (Helsinki) and Sweden (Stockholm) by ferries, St. Petersburg in Russia, Latvian capital Riga and other parts of Estonia (Tartu, Parnu, Narva, Saarema island) by buses. Tallinn is a very popular travel destination for Finns, who come here for weekend to relax, buy some cheaper things and have some alcohol.
- Pros:Medieval feeling, colourful, historical city
- Cons:Touristy, expensive in old town territory
- In a nutshell:Great mix of very old and very new things
There is always useful to have travel guide of places you go. I used to do such way - when coming to place I try to... more travel advice
President's palace was completed in 1938 and designed by architect Alar Kotli. It was projected with a task to... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Tallinn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shades of Grey"
- "Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New"
- "Tallinn - medieval spirit city"
- "In the bleak midwinter ..."
- "Towers and tiles and spires and cobbles."
- "Tallinn - Nordic beauty with soviet past"
- "Fairytale city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn
- Hotels in Tallinn
- Transportation in Tallinn
- Nightlife in Tallinn
- Restaurants in Tallinn
- Shopping in Tallinn
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallinn
- 43 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Tallinn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn
- Posted in Travel Vilnius Forum "Re: On-line shopping"
- Commented on one of slothtraveller's Tallinn travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good place for day meals - Le Chateau"
- updated a Tallinn Travel Page "Tallinn - medieval spirit city"
- Wrote a Review Free guidebook "Tallinn this week" about Guidebook in Tallinn What to Pack
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos