"Tartu - oldest Estonian university town" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by Raimix
Tartu Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 517 photos
Tartu was in my plans when visiting Estonia. I have heard good words about this city from people who visited it and I knew famous and oldest in Estonia Tartu University.
I have visited Tartu on the daytrip from Tallinn. I should say it was enough time to see main places in Tartu (old town, Dome hill, parks around) - was quite lucky about having guide - local girl that showed me this place.
Tartu is called intellectual capital of Estonia; it has famous university, found in 1632, when Sweden ruled Estonian land. It is also the second largest city in Estonia, 186 kilometers from capital Tallinn.
This city had a few different names in history. In German rule it was Dorpat, in Russian rule - Yuryev. The first time Tartu (former Yuryev) was mentioned already in 1030, when Prince of Kiev Yaroslav I the Wise built fort here.
This is a city, full of green places, lovely small old town, Emajogi River, lot of sculptures and good atmosphere. Tartu University is the most popular, prestigious in Estonia, so lot of young generations gather to this place in September - June.
- Pros:Beautiful old town, green areas, sculptures, cozy atmosphere.
- Cons:Small for few days visit.
- In a nutshell:Town, that worths visiting and quite different from Tallinn.
Tartu atmosphere I liked more than in Tallinn. I loved to see here more locals than tourists. Most of people were... more travel advice
This restaurant is located in old town of Tartu. It has two flours with quite different design. I guess locals most... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Tartu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CITY OF THE CATS"
- "Oh Tartu Town!"
- "The town of students"
- "Tartu - University With A Town"
- "Tartu - oldest Estonian university town"
- "Tartu Town"
- "Tartu - Estonia's Second City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tartu
- Hotels in Tartu
- Transportation in Tartu
- Nightlife in Tartu
- Restaurants in Tartu
- Shopping in Tartu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tartu
- 15 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Tartu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tartu
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos