"Tartu - oldest Estonian university town" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by Raimix

Tartu Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 518 photos

Tartu was in my plans when visiting Estonia. I have heard good words about this city from people who visited it and I knew famous and oldest in Estonia Tartu University.

I have visited Tartu on the daytrip from Tallinn. I should say it was enough time to see main places in Tartu (old town, Dome hill, parks around) - was quite lucky about having guide - local girl that showed me this place.

Tartu is called intellectual capital of Estonia; it has famous university, found in 1632, when Sweden ruled Estonian land. It is also the second largest city in Estonia, 186 kilometers from capital Tallinn.

This city had a few different names in history. In German rule it was Dorpat, in Russian rule - Yuryev. The first time Tartu (former Yuryev) was mentioned already in 1030, when Prince of Kiev Yaroslav I the Wise built fort here.

This is a city, full of green places, lovely small old town, Emajogi River, lot of sculptures and good atmosphere. Tartu University is the most popular, prestigious in Estonia, so lot of young generations gather to this place in September - June.

• Pros:Beautiful old town, green areas, sculptures, cozy atmosphere.
  • Cons:Small for few days visit.
  • In a nutshell:Town, that worths visiting and quite different from Tallinn.
  • Last visit to Tartu: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2007

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Thanks for sharing your tips which bring back good memories as I studied in Tartu for 6 months back in 2003. It's a lovely place to be!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Like this city and all the sculptures!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Hi Raimundas
    Thanks so much for the wonderful 'virtual' tour of Tartu, especially the explanation of the lovely sculpture - I was particularly impressed to see Oscar Wilde represented! We loved Tallinn when we visited last December, and have promised ourselves that we will return - your page has just given me even more excuses to do so!
    Regards
    Cathy

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Hey, Superb page.. you've convinced me that I should go here :) The 2 brigdes, students kissing statue, plus the two poets, father & son, etc. Nice work, Mr Mustard ;) Darsh

• kit_mc's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Great tips on Tartu. I'm visiting in Feb so may well try that Chinese restaurant you mentioned! Happy 2008.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I have funny photo with Wilde statues and Father and son statues made by Lee (my friend). Have you?

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Great page and tips!!! City where I work in ambulance:)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I really would like to visit Tartu one day! Thanks for the introduction :))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Another fabulous new page of yours. I really would love to visit Tartu on one of my next trips to the Baltics.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Great update, Raimundas sinse July,19! You reminded me that beautiful day in 1991 (the USSR was still alive) when I visited this ancient town with one day excursion. May be one day I'll come back there...

Raimix

“Be creator, not destroyer ;)”

Badges & Stats in Tartu