"Kutna Hora - formerly rich of silver Czech town" Top 5 Page for this destination Kutna Hora by Raimix
Kutna Hora Travel Guide: 336 reviews and 849 photos
Kutna Hora was a place I doubted about visiting it, but later I decided to do it, mostly because of famous and quite unique Bone Church. What is more, my host in Prague suggested me to take a way to that site with him by car. Visiting Kutna Hora was the right choice; I think it is one of the most beautiful places in Czech land.
Invention of the first Cistercian Monastery in 12th century was a beginning of Kutna Hora site, from 1260 Germans found here a valuable place to mine out silver started to do it at mountains nearby. The city became quite rich due to silver mines; the quite interesting fact to tell that from the 13th to 16th centuries city was about equal level with Prague culturally, politically, and economically. In 15th century it was second by importance in Bohemia.
The worse times to city life came with 16th century. In 1546 the richest silver mine was flooded, city lost privileges, it was on the way of plague and later period of Thirty Years’ Wars ruined Kutna Hora a lot. In 18th century silver mines were left empty.
Despite quite dramatic period now city is lively, full of historical sites, including rich gothic style St. Barbora Church, unique Bone Church. In the year of 1995 old part of city was included into UNESCO World Heritage Sites list.
- Pros:cozy old town, amazing churches.
- Cons:Can’t remember of any…
- In a nutshell:Small, but rich town, former site of silver miners.
We were traveling to Kutna Hora by car. Distance Prague – Kutna Hora is about 75 km. It is possible to choose two roads... more travel advice
Kutna Hora probably wouldn't be so important and such a popular tourist spot without silver. It made city one of the... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Kutna Hora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old bones Galore for the serious bone connaisseur"
- "North Bohemian Growing Pains"
- "Kutná Hora - treasury of the Czech Kingdom"
- "The Historical Kutna Hora.."
- "Kutna Hora - formerly rich of silver Czech town"
- "St Barbara Cathedral..."
- "Kutna Hora - A Day Outside of Prague"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kutna Hora
- Hotels in Kutna Hora
- Transportation in Kutna Hora
- Nightlife in Kutna Hora
- Restaurants in Kutna Hora
- Shopping in Kutna Hora
- Warnings and Dangers in Kutna Hora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kutna Hora
- 14 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Kutna Hora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kutna Hora
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "I can't write email to feedback@"
- updated a Kutna Hora Travel Page "Kutna Hora - formerly rich of silver Czech town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Various photos of Kutna Hora"
- Wrote a Review Car help in Kutna Hora Transportation
- Commented on one of monkeytrousers's Kutna Hora travel pages
Photos in Kutna HoraSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Kutna Hora hotel reviews
- Hotel Zlata Stoupa
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Pension U Kata
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Hotel U Hrncire
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Medinek Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2013
- Pension U Soudu
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Garni Na Havlicku
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2012