"Plzen - Czech beer capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Plzen by Raimix
Plzen Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 420 photos
I decided to visit city of Plzen for a few reasons – firstly, it is a home of famous Pilsner Urquell brewery (city actually could be called as capital of Czech beer), the other reason – city itself has nice architecture to show, including tall St. Bartholomew Cathedral, renaissance Town Hall, Great synagogue that is actually second biggest in Europe. I made a day trip here from capital Prague – to see main sights for city it was enough. Anyway, if you want to visit few museums or go more far away from city centre, better to choose at least two days.
The name of Plzen was firstly mentioned as a castle in the year of 976, at the episode when Duke of Bohemia Boleslaus II was fighting against Emperor Otto II. In 1295 it got city rights, city was on the trade route to Nuremberg and Regensburg. At 14th century this trade city was actually quite populated, third after Prague and Kutna Hora.
19th century touched Plzen by industrialization, factory of famous Skoda was constructed in 1869, and National Railway train workshop started production. City also became known by its breweries, as Gambrinus or Pilsner Urquell, and new style of beer, that appeared here, called “pilsener”.
Plzen’s population nowadays is about 170 thousand people; it is fourth biggest city in Czech Republic, capital of Plzen region.
- Pros:Cozy place, nice architecture, and home of famous brewery.
- Cons:A bit scrappy area around train station.
- In a nutshell:City that suits not only for beer lovers ;)
Karlstejn is one of the most famous travel destinations in Czech Republic. Main landmark in village of Karlstejn is... more travel advice
If you mention city of Plzen, at least in Lithuania, no one will know it for its synagogue or town hall, but almost all... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Plzen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Plzen - Czech beer capital"
- "What a nice place!"
- "Urquell's home town"
- "weekend in Plzen"
- "Something about Pilsen"
- "Welcome to Plzen"
- "PLZEN - not just a day trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plzen
- Hotels in Plzen
- Transportation in Plzen
- Nightlife in Plzen
- Restaurants in Plzen
- Shopping in Plzen
- Warnings and Dangers in Plzen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plzen
- 16 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Plzen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plzen
Photos in PlzenSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues