"Minsk - charm of soviet style architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk by Raimix
Minsk Travel Guide: 416 reviews and 1,033 photos
Minsk is one of the oldest towns in Eastern Europe. First time it was mentioned in the year of 1067 as a town of Duchy of Polock. In 14th century, when Minsk became a city of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, it was center of territory called vaivadija in Lithuanian (the name of "region" in medieval times). Later, in 1499, it got Magdeburg rights - rights of self government.
From 16th century to 18th century all the most beautiful sights of Minsk were formed - Town Hall, Orthodox and Catholic cathedrals, monastery of Bernardines, old town, so on. Population of Minsk started to grow up faster after the construction of railway in 1871. In 1919 it became capital of Belarus Republic (incorporated into Soviet Union). The hardest time for city life was Second World War. After it city lost most of its buildings (about 80%). There was decision to move capital to Mogiliov, but city got up from ashes quite fast.
Talking about architecture, Minsk is quite new city. Most of buildings are from soviet times, so don't expect to see something unique from medieval period. Even without big old part, city has nice examples of soviet building structures. Due to soviet architecture (especially at Independence Avenue) Minsk was even expectant to be inscribed into UNESCO World Heritage list, but didn't manage it.
- Pros:Great variety of soviet architecture, clean, safe city, nice lightened at night.
- Cons:Not much old medieval buildings left.
- In a nutshell:Charm of soviet style architecture.
Walking in city centre of Minsk is quite simple. Main sights are in walkable distance, but only Belarusian National... more travel advice
Food that I tried in Minsk was simple, like homemade - cutlet with potatoes, sausages. It was quite interesting, that... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Minsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Minsk - City of grandiose Stalinist architecture"
- "Minsk at first sight"
- "Minsk - charm of soviet style architecture"
- "Belarussian Capital"
- "Minsk, the capital of Belarus"
- "Ice Hockey Bison"
- "My city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minsk
- Hotels in Minsk
- Transportation in Minsk
- Nightlife in Minsk
- Restaurants in Minsk
- Shopping in Minsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Minsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minsk
- 33 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Minsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minsk
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos