"Mir - small city with amazing castle" Mir by Raimix
Mir Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 35 photos
Small city of Mir is one of the main tourist spots in Belarus. Mir castle picture mostly dominates on intro pages in tourism brochures, advertisements, books, representing Belarus. I think if you plan the trip to
Belarus, Mir should be a must see place. Moreover, it is not so far from capital of Belarus Minsk.
First time, when Mir was mentioned, is the year 1395. At that time German crusaders destroyed this place for revenge, as they couldn’t destroy another that time important city in Lithuanian Grand Duchy - Novogrudok. Later, in 1434, Lithuanian Duke Sigismund gave Mir to Courtier Simeon Gedygoldovich, after some years it was given to Ilyiniches. The start of constructing nice architectural forms castle started at the beginning of 16th century.
It is strange that name of Mir is not from the word peace (“mir” is peace in Russian language), but from Arabic word “Amir”, that was given at older times by Tartars. Amir means the “prince”, “commander”.
- Pros:Some nice historical objects not so far from capital Minsk.
- Cons:Nothing to say.
- In a nutshell:Small historical place with impressive castle.
Nesvizh, located some 50 kilometers from Mir, is another tourism place of Belarus. Nesvizh city is famous because of... more travel advice
Yeshiva building was constructed at 1815. It is a construction, where local Jewish were taught. Near it there was... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Mir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mir - small city with amazing castle"
- "Mir and its castle in the countryside of Belarus"
- "M i r"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mir
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Mir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mir
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "I can't write email to feedback@"
- Commented on one of bugulma's Mir travel pages
- updated a Mir Travel Page "Mir - small city with amazing castle"
- Wrote a Review Another UNESCO place - Nesvizh in Mir Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Another UNESCO place - Nesvizh"
Photos in MirSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 41 reviews, 96 photos