"Nesvizh - residence of famous Radziwili family" Nesvizh by Raimix
Nesvizh Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 17 photos
Nesvizh is one of the touristy places in Belarus. That is more, it is not far from capital Minsk, making it easy to visit. Nesvizh is known from 13th century, but only in 16th century it became famous, when Lithuanian rich family Radziwilli decided to locate here their residence. By initiative of Radziwilli, the castle, Corpus Christi church was built, park was planted, town was surrounded by walls and gates with towers. City became example how the Western and Eastern styles of architecture could be mixed.
Radziwill (in Lithuanian - Radvila, in Belarusian - Radzivil, Latin - Radvil) is high nobility family, very important for a few centuries for Lithuanian Grand Duchy and later for Lithuanian Grand Duchy and Kingdom of Poland Union. Radziwilly family has got the title of price from the Holy Roman Empire. Family members were very different in significance - let say, Barbara Radziwill (1520-1550) was Queen of Lithuanian Grand Duchy - Poland's Kingdom Union, Karol Stanislaw Radziwill (1669-1719) – Grand Chancellor of Lithuania, Anthony Radziwill (1959-1999) – American filmmaker.
- Pros:Castle, Corpus Christi church, big park.
- Cons:Much of heritage was damaged year by year.
- In a nutshell:It is city of former glory, synthesis of East and West European architecture styles.
Belarus has two UNESCO architectural and historical objects - it is Mir and Nesvizh. The ways, why Nesvizh was... more travel advice
Mir castle is another UNESCO World Heritage site in Belarus. Mir castle famous because of mix of different architecture... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Nesvizh Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nesvizh
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Nesvizh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nesvizh
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Europe Intro, 81 reviews, 84 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 54 reviews, 96 photos
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 43 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 48 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues