"Girona – medieval splendour of Catalonia" Top 5 Page for this destination Girona by Raimix
Girona Travel Guide: 445 reviews and 1,290 photos
Girona is a one of the biggest towns in Catalonian region, Spain. It is located in the North of region and has population of around 95000. Girona was a first town I got to see in Spain, used town as a base for my flights (Vilnius – Girona – Vilnius). The time spent in Girona was almost two days; actually it was enough to see central part of city.
Girona was populated by Iberians in old times. Later Romans constructed a castle here and the name of town that time was already quite similar – Gerunda. For some time Girona belonged to Visigoths and Moors. Girona got city rights in 11th century by Alfonso I of Aragon declaration. Girona countship became a Duchy in 1351. City had lot of battles inside and around it, mostly in 17 – 19th centuries, in intensive attacks of French troops.
Despite attacks and city face change, Girona is still in its unique medieval feeling, having such nice objects to see as huge Cathedral, Saint Feliu church, medieval city walls, nice Onyar river channel and so on. Most tourists use Girona airport just for cheap flights to transfer to Barcelona, but Girona itself is not only airport place, but quite historical and picturesque town.
- Pros:Medieval feeling, great landscapes.
- Cons:A bit hot in July, hard to find working shop in Sunday ;)
- In a nutshell:Medieval feeling of Catalonia region, Spain.
It is possible easily to explore Girona on foot. The center is relatively small, no need of any public transportation.... more travel advice
We took direct flight Vilnius – Girona airport and back with already bankrupted Lithuanian flight company Star1.... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Girona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval beauty"
- "Girona – medieval splendour of Catalonia"
- "Really worth it!"
- "Girona in Spring"
- "The GIRONA experience!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Girona
- Hotels in Girona
- Transportation in Girona
- Nightlife in Girona
- Restaurants in Girona
- Shopping in Girona
- Warnings and Dangers in Girona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Girona
- 25 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Girona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Girona
Photos in GironaSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos