"Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain" Tarragona by Raimix
Tarragona Travel Guide: 356 reviews and 884 photos
I decided to visit Tarragona as a day-tripper after a research of Catalonia region in Internet and of course, after a look for in VirtualTourist site as well as forum help. The place is the most known due to heritage of Roman times.
Tarragona was an ancient basis for Roman intervention to Spanish land from 218 BC. Julius Caesar granted place a title of colony. For some time Emperor Augustus made place as his residence, so it means Tarragona for few years (26-25 BC) was a capital of Roman Empire.
Ancient Tarraco was the main Rome’s basis to defeat other lands in Spain. The Roman city was abandoned in 4 - 5th centuries. In the 12 – 13th it was already well established medieval place with such nowadays popular sights as Cathedral, King’s castle, reconstructed defensive walls.
Tarragona old part is inscribed in UNESCO World heritage list in 2000. The place is worth visiting to still unspoiled local life feeling (not so touristy) and historical background.
- Pros:Mix of Roman and medieval heritage, nice sea views.
- Cons:I see nothing.
- In a nutshell:Rich historical city with cosy atmosphere.
As I understood, trains could be the best option to head to daytrips from Barcelona. They are convenient and quite... more travel advice
Tarragona was a ancient Roman Tarraco and kept the architecture of Classical Roman style. It is still possible to... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Tarragona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Tarraconensis"
- "Viva Tarragona !"
- "Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)"
- "Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarragona
- Hotels in Tarragona
- Transportation in Tarragona
- Nightlife in Tarragona
- Restaurants in Tarragona
- Shopping in Tarragona
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarragona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarragona
- 17 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Tarragona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarragona
- updated a Tarragona Travel Page "Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain"
- Posted in Travel Vilnius Forum "Re: shopping in vilnius"
- Commented on one of matcrazy1's Tarragona travel pages
- Wrote a Review Convenient trains about Trains - Barcelona in Tarragona Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Convenient trains"
Photos in TarragonaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos