"Country of diversities - Lithuania" Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania by Raimix
Lithuania Travel Guide: 5,263 reviews and 12,123 photos
Lithuania (in Lithuanian language "Lietuva") is a country located in northern Europe. It is the largest of the three Baltic States, has the borders with Latvia to the north, Belarus to the southeast, Poland and the Russian exclave of the Kaliningrad Oblast to the southwest.
In Lithuania live about 3,5 million people, 83.5% of the Lithuanian population are ethnic Lithuanians, major minorities are Poles (6.7%), Russians (6.3%), and Belarusians (1.2%).
The main five cities, their populations and size of it is here:
1. Vilnius 541 824 and 401 km²
2. Kaunas 360 637 and 157 km²
3. Klaipeda 187 316 and 98 km²
4. Siauliai 129 037 and 81 km²
5. Panevezys 115 315 and 52 km²
Lithuania is one of the fast growing economically countries in Europe. Joining NATO and European Union shows great performance of this country.
Country of diversities - as you can find here places, influenced by different people, nations, religions.
Lets say, Vilnius is baroque town, had influence from Poland, lot of churches are designed by Italian architects, and the mix of cultures.
Kaunas and Klaipeda - the influence of German gothic.
Kedainiai - architecture of XVI-XVII century Lutherans.
Trakai - some places remained from Karaites culture
Nida - Lithuanian "sachara"
What is more, Lithuania consists of the four historical and cultural regions; you can find some differences in language, culture and old village houses architecture as well:
Aukstaitija, literally, the "Highlands", more hilly area, historical most significant in Lithuania. Free first capitals of Lithuania located here: Kernave, Trakai, Vilnius.
Zemaitija, literally, the "Lowlands". It is an area of Western Lithuania, near the sea, so such famous places are here as Klaipeda, Palanga, Nida.
Dzukija - the south of Lithuania, area of forests and old wooden house villages and lot of mushrooms. One most famous resort located here - Druskininkai.
Suvalkija - a part of Western-Southern area, having borders with Zemaitija and Dzukija, it is a land of Nemunas river and people, who are stereotypically called "counting every cent".
Lithuania's three touristic spots were inscribed to UNESCO World Heritage list and I really suggest visiting them when coming to Lithuania. These places are:
Vilnius historic centre;
The Kernave Archaeological Site.
There are three other things in UNESCO list, but they are not natural-architectural spots, but valuable human actions, it is:
1. An art to carve crosses from wood (different crosses, small chapels, wooden carvings of wailing people). The best examples of it are Hill of Crosses (near Siauliai city) and Ciurlionio Kelias (road from Varena to
2. Song Festival, when really much people gather together to one place to sing national and all other songs - it is common with Latvia and Estonia.
3. Glee songs, spread mostly just in Lithuania territory.
ABOUT THIS PAGE STRUCTURE:
If you look at "Things to do" tips, there are places, where, in my personal opinion, worth being a least one day or more.
The other places, that you could just visit for a day or a half or simply have a look on your way to any other main town, are mentioned in "Off the beaten path".
- Pros:Lot of to see, gloriuos history, diversities in sightseeing.
- Cons:Big differences of life standarts in some places.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful cities, green forests, blue rivers and lakes.
Senieji Trakai is a village, known of its planning, still kept the same as from 16the century. Anyway, the main thing... more travel advice
Mostly it started to develop from 19th century, when in 1861-1862 railroad Warsaw - St. Petersburg was driven.... more travel advice
- Ridiculous questions and answers
- See All Birzai - historical town near artificial...
- Buses, trains, cars, microbuses, planes
- See All Cepelinai - food from potatoes
Raimix's Related Pages
Lithuania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Republic of Lithuania"
- "Country of diversities - Lithuania"
- "The HEART of Europe "Lithuania""
- "Lithuania - Little Amber in My Hand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lithuania
- Hotels in Lithuania
- Transportation in Lithuania
- Nightlife in Lithuania
- Restaurants in Lithuania
- Shopping in Lithuania
- Warnings and Dangers in Lithuania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lithuania
- 480 Reviews
- 967 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 38 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Lithuania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lithuania
- Posted in Travel Vilnius Forum "Re: shopping in vilnius"
- Wrote a Review Senieji Trakai - homeland of Vytautas the Great in Lithuania Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lentvaris - English style palace and park site"
- updated a Lithuania Travel Page "Country of diversities - Lithuania"
- Commented on one of DanielF's Lithuania travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos