"Edirne – former capital of Ottoman Empire" Top 5 Page for this destination Edirne by Raimix
Edirne Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 463 photos
When planning my trip to Istanbul, I decided to visit Edirne as a daytrip due to few reasons: firstly, it was described as rich historical and architectural place (including fact that it was capital of Ottomans), moreover, despite it is 235 kilometers from Istanbul, it is easily reachable in 2 and half hours.
Edirne once was a capital of Ottoman Empire, the second one, after Bursa and before Istanbul (1416 – 1453). Maybe due to it this place is quite rich in sightseeing places, mosques and bridges as the most common. Anyway, most of objects to see are constructed when Istanbul was already a capital.
Edirne with its population of about 130 thousand people was founded in 5th century BC. Then name of city for most of time was Adrianapolis, city of Roman Emperor Adrian. It was the main town in Thrace region. It is significant battle – place, about 16 of them took place in or around Edirne. Some prove it is the biggest battle – place in the World.
Nowadays city it is a center of Edirne region in European side of Turkey. Place is just nearby Greece and Bulgaria borders.
- Pros:Mosques, bridges, nice atmosphere.
- Cons:Some places look too much neglect.
- In a nutshell:Gateway to not so touristy but rich border town.
That is so unusual to see shoe cleaners and weighers even in still small town as Edirne. I was thinking they work only... more travel advice
Edirne, despite its small size of central part, amazed me by number of mosques and bridges through Tunca and Meric... more travel advice
Raimix's Related Pages
Edirne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edirne – former capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne: the Second Capital of the Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne - Near the Bulgarian border"
- "To my darling in the Edirne city"
- "Ex-capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne (Adrianople), between Asia and Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edirne
- Hotels in Edirne
- Transportation in Edirne
- Nightlife in Edirne
- Restaurants in Edirne
- Shopping in Edirne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edirne
- 21 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Edirne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edirne
Photos in EdirneSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 80 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 70 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 70 reviews, 125 photos
- Berlin Intro, 59 reviews, 131 photos
- Europe Intro, 86 reviews, 89 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 120 photos
- Vienna Intro, 54 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 52 reviews, 123 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 42 reviews, 98 photos