"High Roller" RichardBlaine's Profile
New Mexico - the 'Land of Enchantment'. Most folks think of/visit Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos. Good for you, keep it up. If you ever discover the rest of the state, we could be in trouble!
I originally got started here on VT in order to have a place to share our Volvo Overseas Delivery Experience, September 2002. Since then have realized this VT thing has great value in other ways. Feel free to email me if you have comments, questions or requests.
THANKS!!! Many thanks for the continued good ratings that put me in the top 10K!
The center of life in High Rolls is the famous High Rolls Store, gas station, pizza parlor, video rental facility, beauty parlor, real estate office, community bulletin board, etc. Located right on US Highway 82 that runs through the middle of the community, you can't miss it.
Located on Karr Canyon Road, the High Rolls elementary school is part of the Alamogordo Public Schools system. Most famous alumnus is World War II artist and cartoonist Bill Mauldin.
The Tunnel is a local landmark, about a mile or so down the road from the store. It is special because it is the only highway tunnel in the whole state (?), New Mexico being the 5th largest state by-the-way. Sometimes when you are driving up into the mountains from the desert terrain of the Tularosa Basin, the Tunnel is a convenient demarcation between the desert and the forests of the mountains. BE CAREFUL on Highway 82! It is regularly patrolled and has recently been designated a "Safety Corridor". I think this means you will pay double fines for speeding, although you will never get a ticket for going too slow and blocking traffic. Traffic accidents on the road are almost always major events and lives are often lost. UPDATE: State DoT has decided NOT to restrict commercial truck traffic, source of many of the accidents.
Bernie Lechman has retired as postmaster, but the Information and Intelligence Center (also known as the High Rolls Post Office) continues to be the primary resource for information and contact with the outside world. We have boxes, not post office boxes because we don't pay rent for them, since there is no rural delivery. Some of the boxes at the post office are post office boxes, since they are for businesses and organizations and get charged rent. Whatever you do, DO NOT put your physical/street address on the mail. Bernie would always let you know when you erred.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 33 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- created a Grand Canyon National Park Travel Page "Grand Canyon"
- Commented on RichardBlaine's profile page
- RichardBlaine and hayward68 are now friends.
- Uploaded a Photo to "Millau: Le Viaduct de Millau"
- Uploaded a Video to Roswell
updated their Personal Page "BMW European Delivery - 1 April 2010 'No Foolin'"
- Wrote a Review Le Viaduc in Millau Things to Do
- Posted in Travel France Forum "Re: Re: Selecting a city!"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Arnhem Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- High Rolls Intro, 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Upham Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Encino Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Millau Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Strasbourg Intro, 3 photos
- Bandelier National Monument Intro, 3 photos
- Villefranche-sur-Saône Intro, 3 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos