"Santiago Compostela" Santiago de Compostela by IneXisTenZ
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide: 715 reviews and 2,281 photos
Spiritual heart of Spain and still more, of all medieval Europe, Compostela counts on one of the most important monuments of the cristianity of all the times. I talk about the romanic cathedral of Santiago, destiny of million of travelling more ago than thousand years. With the exception of the Years You will rejoice, in which the main access is made by the Door Santa, the Obradoiro is the entrance most characteristic of the Cathedral, to which it is acceded through a perron of century XVII. Penetrating in the interior the traveller it is surprised before the most valuable creation of the Romanesque one, the Porch of the Gloria made by the Mateo Teacher at the end of century XII.
The ritual of the travelling one forces, first, to put the hand in parteluz, on the same track that million hands have worked in the stone and, later, to give to three croques or two blows in the forehead in the figure of the Mateo Teacher, or Santo Croques, located across of parteluz.
The interior of the Cathedral has practically remained intact and offers an authentic exhibition of the wisdom of the old medieval teachers. In the characteristic romanic distribution of Latin cross plant with three ships, and in the girola a rosary of chapels, neoclassic romanic, barroc or, between which the one of the Pillar it is considered like most beautiful.
Santiago, apostle of Christ, known by Baanerges (Son of the Thunderclap), preached in Spain, (it says that during his stay there, she had appeared him the Virgin to borders of the Ebro river).
Later it returned to Palestine where it was beheaded by Herodes Agripa (42 d.C.) being the first apostle martyred because of its faith.
Their disciples embarked their body and sailed until Galicia, burying it in a place where later the Cathedral of Santiago was built, that convirted instead of cult and peregrimación for the Cristianity.
In year 859 (during the Arab occupation of Spain) a small Christian army was entrusted to the Saint before entering battle and defeated to a numerous Arab army formed by thousands of men. Since then Santiago Apostle became the protector of the Christian forces in Reconquista against the Arabs.
Of this reunification, after the fight against the Islam, the Kingdom will be born of Spain, of which Santiago Apostle is its Greater Pattern.
Later, was drawing up the road network that, from Scandinavia by the Slavic north and paises by the East, leads to the basilica of the apostle. Saints, kings, horsemen, bourgeois, craftsmen and farmers, with or without courtship, on foot or horse approached Compostela. Footpaths of mercy and culture, the diverse itineraries that integrate the Jacobeas Routes were a decisive element in the conformation of the European spirit, by means of the interchange of forms of life, thought, languages and techniques.
The Council of Europe granted to the Way of Santiago in 1987, I title of First European Cultural Itinerary, and later Cultural Patrimony of the Humanity.
In this city in which its university atmosphere can be chewed, you you will pass it fantastically. It is certain that in... more travel advice
IneXisTenZ's Related Pages
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Camino Frances in May 2012"
- "Camino Frances" (Part Two)"
- "Santiago de Compostela"
- "Santiago de Compostela - Winter and Summer"
- "Santiago: A piece of magic"
- "Meine Ausruestung fuer meinen naechsten Camino"
- "Santiago de Compostela- 2004 JUBILEE year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago de Compostela
- Hotels in Santiago de Compostela
- Transportation in Santiago de Compostela
- Nightlife in Santiago de Compostela
- Restaurants in Santiago de Compostela
- Shopping in Santiago de Compostela
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago de Compostela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago de Compostela
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Santiago de Compostela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago de Compostela
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narva Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fortaleza Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Benalmádena Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- La Guardia Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Serra da Estrela Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Isla de Ibiza Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Tabernas Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Portugal Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos