"Ballooning Capital of Australia" Canowindra by M0B1US
Canowindra Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Pronounced 'Ca nown dra'
Normally this would be called a 'One Horse Town', just to be different they're a 'One Tree Town' instead...;-)
This town is seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but there is quite a bit to do here! Our reason for coming here was the Age of Fishes museum as we had been recommended it by our friend in Orange and needed something to keep us busy for the relatively short trip to Parkes and our next set of friends - it seemed like a reasonable little detour!
As well as the museum, the other thing that Canowindra is known for is ballooning and for this it is known as the Ballooning Capital of Australia - Marti's Balloon festival in April is one of the largest festivals in Australia. There are several companies that offer ballooning due to the perfect weather conditions and it is something I've always wanted to do, however not this time unfortunately due to time and money constraints!
Apart from the museum and ballooning, the area is becoming something of a gastronomic centre with some vineyards and gourmet food producers becoming established.
The old town centre is a throwback to the 1800's and there are a number of interesting antiques shops, including one being run by a gay couple who had decided to sell up in Sydney and move out here!
Places to stay include a motel, guesthouses, several hotels and a caravan park.
For more information check the Canowindra Website
Car or... Balloon!
Really, that's it - there may be a rural bus service, but that is unlikely to be a viable option for travelling and seeing the sights.
Remember if you're driving, we are talking about fairly colossal distances and plan accordingly.
- Pros:Age of Fishes Museum, Some Antiques shops
- Cons:Dust Storms. Being in the middle of Nowhere
- In a nutshell:Age of Fishes Museum(!)
At the time of our driving holiday (2002), Australia was gripped in the worst drought probably in the history of... more travel advice
M0B1US's Related Pages
Canowindra Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Little Rock Hotels
- Sankt Gilgen
- Corfu Island
- Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park Hotels
- Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan
- San Isidro
- Malake Island Hotels
- Dromore Castle Hotels
- Rhode Island Hotels
- Glen Edith
- Bristol Hotels
- Mestna Obcina Koper
- Veliko Turnovo
Badges & Stats in Canowindra
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Canowindra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canowindra
Photos in CanowindraSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 41 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 29 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues