"Hidden Huston" Top 5 Page for this destination Houston by MarvintheMartian

Houston Travel Guide: 1,246 reviews and 2,138 photos

More to Houston than Shopping Malls

I've been in Houston for almost 6 months now. Since arriving I've had a good introduction to Houston and the different parts of the city.

So far I'm pretty familiar with the Uptown area around the Galleria (although I've only actually been into the Galleria once so far!). I've found some great resturants down towards the Midtown area (anyone know Blue Fish? Great Sushi!). On top of that I've finally got my head around the 610, 59, I45, I10 and all the other roads between Westheimer and Downtown.

I've been to the Baseball and Basketball, the museum district, a few concerts and State Parks. On top of that NASA, Galveston and Katy Mills are fun as well.

Things near the top of my list to do include the Downtown area - still a mystery as everytime I've been there it's been a ghost town! I'm sure there's going to be lots of other areas also to find out about!

My lastest picture here is from Christmas and New Year when my friends Mark and Hannah visited from the UK. I've also updated my Houston pages with a few more tips - I hope there's useful for someone out there.

As for the comment on Hidden Houston - well there's so much more than just Strip Shopping Malls alongside all the big roads, or big shopping areas - 19th Street for example is a great place to spend an afternoon looking through the antiques. So if you're in Houston and want to know more - look through the pages some of the locals have written - they're very good!

From August to November

Houston is huge!

At least it is so me...

My previous homes have been in the UK, each of which has been an average sized town and quite easy to get to know.

Houston, however, is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago), and is the largest in the southern U.S. and Texas.

So far I only know the area in which I living - about 3 miles west of the Galleria, along Westheimer Road.

I have no pictures of this area at the moment, so I have included one of a big flash of lightening from a storm passing over my apartment complex on 1st November 2004.
First big thunder and lightening I've seen in Houston - and I'm sure there's lots to come!!

• Pros:Massive with many facilities and things to do
  • Cons:Too much concrete!
  • In a nutshell:Great place to live!
  • Last visit to Houston: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2005

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Planning yet another visit to Houston - always good to get another slant on the place. leyle

• Jan 29, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Hey Martin, Tried getting in touch with you but your email didn't work. Hope this does-I need advice on Houston! Hugh

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 10:21 PM

Hiya Martin! Some great tips about our city ya have here! Thanks for checking out my Houston page! :)

• MrsBrown's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Some really interesting pages on Houston. There is more here than you would think!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 12:03 AM

Hello Martin. Thanks for sharing your great photos & personal insights! Really enjoyed reading your tips & added some orange stars for you. Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 9:14 AM

Enjoyed your photos of Houston--you have a real flair with the camera!! Galveston is a place where I want to visit for sure. THANKS.

• Mar 5, 2005 at 9:36 AM

Excellent tips and great photographic skills, well done!! hope not to encounter snow :-) Cheers

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 10:27 AM

Might be visiting NASA this year -- my daughter's school organizes trips to Houston for its honor students. Thanks for the helpful info!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 11:39 AM

This Houston page is now excellent!! Great photo of Christmasty palm trees! I was happy to see your pict of Houston snow because I managed to be out of Houston the only day (in 30 years?) it snowed in this city!!!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 8:36 PM

You make Houston look great, Marvin. The Renaissance Festival sounds fun. Stephen

MarvintheMartian Used To Live Here!

MarvintheMartian

“Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck”

Badges & Stats in Houston

Have you been to Houston?

Latest Activity in Houston