"Hidden Huston" Top 5 Page for this destination Houston by MarvintheMartian
Houston Travel Guide: 1,245 reviews and 2,138 photos
I've been in Houston for almost 6 months now. Since arriving I've had a good introduction to Houston and the different parts of the city.
So far I'm pretty familiar with the Uptown area around the Galleria (although I've only actually been into the Galleria once so far!). I've found some great resturants down towards the Midtown area (anyone know Blue Fish? Great Sushi!). On top of that I've finally got my head around the 610, 59, I45, I10 and all the other roads between Westheimer and Downtown.
I've been to the Baseball and Basketball, the museum district, a few concerts and State Parks. On top of that NASA, Galveston and Katy Mills are fun as well.
Things near the top of my list to do include the Downtown area - still a mystery as everytime I've been there it's been a ghost town! I'm sure there's going to be lots of other areas also to find out about!
My lastest picture here is from Christmas and New Year when my friends Mark and Hannah visited from the UK. I've also updated my Houston pages with a few more tips - I hope there's useful for someone out there.
As for the comment on Hidden Houston - well there's so much more than just Strip Shopping Malls alongside all the big roads, or big shopping areas - 19th Street for example is a great place to spend an afternoon looking through the antiques. So if you're in Houston and want to know more - look through the pages some of the locals have written - they're very good!
Houston is huge!
At least it is so me...
My previous homes have been in the UK, each of which has been an average sized town and quite easy to get to know.
Houston, however, is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago), and is the largest in the southern U.S. and Texas.
So far I only know the area in which I living - about 3 miles west of the Galleria, along Westheimer Road.
I have no pictures of this area at the moment, so I have included one of a big flash of lightening from a storm passing over my apartment complex on 1st November 2004.
First big thunder and lightening I've seen in Houston - and I'm sure there's lots to come!!
- Pros:Massive with many facilities and things to do
- Cons:Too much concrete!
- In a nutshell:Great place to live!
The buildings Downtown are great to look at and there is also a park area with a small lake, church and examples of... more travel advice
Baseball in Houston is a great afternoon or evening out. The Astros made it to the 2005 Championship but haven't faired... more travel advice
MarvintheMartian's Related Pages
Houston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- "Houston, Texas; Beyond Oil, Heat and Space"
- "Home, Home on the Range"
- "Hidden Huston"
- "Houston: Home to the Rodeo and Oil Business"
- "Houston, Texas"
- "4th Largest City in the USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houston
- Hotels in Houston
- Transportation in Houston
- Nightlife in Houston
- Restaurants in Houston
- Shopping in Houston
- Warnings and Dangers in Houston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Houston
- 25 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Houston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houston
Photos in HoustonSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torquay Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Devon Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shrewsbury Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues