"My Original Home Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Torquay by MarvintheMartian

Torquay Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 362 photos

Torquay Sea Front

The gardens next to Torre Abbey Meadow look nice throughout the year - even in the winter the weather can be bright and sunny, although it is brisk and a bit chilly!

Well I've made a start and looking at what I've done so far I feel that I've alot left to do. There is so much more so write about and I haven't started to think about the areas close by like Brixham, Dartmouth, Salcombe, Totnes and the South Hams. Hoepfully someone else has made some effort with these places! When I do get around to building these pages - have a look at my Devon page where I will hopefully put an overview.

Home at Christmas

Torquay is where I was born and brought up until I left for University at the age of 18.

Torquay is a sea-side town in South Devon, well known for its tourism in the summer - it does get quite lively.

In the winter it is a quieter place, however at Christmas Torquay does have a good display of lights and a festive spirit.

This year I took my Mum to the midnight mass carol service at Cockington Church.

Cockington is a "must visit" area so please have a look at the tips located on my Devon page.

Back for a couple weeks in the Summer, 2006

I have escaped from the US for 3-4 to see family and friends. Of course I have been visiting Torquay and Devon for a couple of weeks to see my folks and family.

Here is a picture of the main beach in Torquay during the evening. It's very pleasant being in Torquay in the summer because of the late setting sun. It's still reletively light upto 10pm - very different from where I am in Houston, Texas when it's getting dark by 8pm. The sun sets so slowly here as well, not like the rapid "blink and you'll miss it" in Houston!

• Pros:Quite a few Palm Trees, but no Movie Stars!
  • Cons:Too far from the more lively areas of England
  • In a nutshell:Well worth a visit, beautiful countryside all around!
  • Last visit to Torquay: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2006

• Jul 30, 2007 at 10:03 PM

I was told by my family that my mother's uncle Harry owned the forge around 1900.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 1:14 PM

Torquay looks lovely! My sister recently visited here, but I've never been. Next time I'm the UK, I'm going to try to explore Devon a bit!

• MrsBrown's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 3:28 PM

Nice updates on Torquay.

• bliss7's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 12:24 PM

"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head!" Never met someone from Torquay! Greetings!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2005 at 6:53 AM

Just had to check out the home of Fawlty Towers! : )

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 7:12 AM

nice one, don't think I was in Torquay but Ive been to South Devon was I was much younger. Thanks and enjoy Texas.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 11:38 AM

I went to the living coast a few months ago,we had a lovely day out there.Torquay is great.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 5:43 PM

oops I fell for the same hehehe, anyway I am glad I did, love countryside, fine page

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 10:50 AM

I didnt know Corbyn Head used to be Chelston beach. Excellent page Martin (although its not the quiz page I thought it was lol!), I have not been to Torquay for ages, I love Cockington though, (~_~)

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2004 at 10:58 AM

Really beautiful place. This is where Agatha Christie was born if I'm not wrong.

MarvintheMartian Used To Live Here!

MarvintheMartian

“Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck”

Badges & Stats in Torquay

Have you been to Torquay?

Latest Activity in Torquay