"Bologna - home of some of the best Italian food!" Bologna by MarvintheMartian

Bologna Travel Guide: 1,039 reviews and 2,966 photos

Overview

Making the most of three days in Italy brought me to Bologna for the day. I Arrived by train to the central station about 9:30am from Ravenna. Journey time about 1 hour. Bologna is a medium sized city and quite easy to navigate. The city centre is about a 15 minute walk from the station, although for €3 you can get an all day bus ticket. Also at the station (on the right side as you walk out) is the small tourist office. The free map is excellent!
For more about Bologna have a look at my tips and photos.
Enjoy!

More Pictures

This is one of Bologna's busiest porticoes. Porticoes offered a solution to the housing crisis of a growing city during the 14th century; buildings expanded into the street while leaving room for mounted riders to pass underneath. The building frenzy lasted several centuries, resulting in much diversity of architectural styles from Gothic to Renaissance to Baroque.

This is Piazza Galvani behind the Duomo.

• Pros:A good day trip with scope for more
  • Cons:Can't really think of any - although aparently Bologna is a bit of a ghost town in August (very humid and all the students are gone).
  • In a nutshell:Plenty to see and you must eat here!
  • Last visit to Bologna: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2003

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Good tips

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 11:27 AM

Wow, I loved reading your page and viewing all the beautiful pics! I loved the resto. tip and it's quite befitting a city known for its gastronomical treats. I gotta visit someday! Thanks so much for sharing! ~Cheryl~

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 10:53 AM

Great Page, Well Done again! (~_~) Bologna was one of my favourite places in Italy.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2004 at 7:44 AM

Excellent Photos and Tips! Makes me hungry for good Italian food. I think that's what we'll have for dinner tonight. Stephen

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2004 at 4:12 AM

You sure had a wonderful day in Bologna!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2004 at 1:39 PM

Three times to Italy, and I missed Bologna. It looks great and I've often heard about the wonderful food. I like an emphasis on architecture; you do well. Great photographs. Thanks for a delightful tour.

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2004 at 2:28 PM

Great pages on Bologna. Yes, and I agree the food in Bologna is the best in Italy. The restaurant owners are very friendly as well.

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2004 at 7:04 AM

What an interesting page of an interesting historical place. thanx. :))

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 11:15 AM

I spent one night in Bologna and learned two of the most important things: 1) it's the gastronomical capital of Italy and 2) the word SALDI ! (best deals in shopping!) ;-))

• Linky_Pinky's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2003 at 11:55 AM

Great information, tips and photos, I love Bologna the market was on when I was there selling all old stuff with a group playing jazz. Fantastic

MarvintheMartian

“Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck”

Badges & Stats in Bologna

Have you been to Bologna?