"Ravenna - A Byzantine Centre" Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna by MarvintheMartian
Ravenna Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 1,029 photos
Ravenna's moment of geopolitical superstardon came, and went 14 centuries ago, when Justinian and Theodora, rulers of the Byzantine Empire, made Ravenna the centre of their attempt to restore order to the anarchic west. They were not successful, but Ravenna remained the seat of the Exarchs of Byzantine Italy for two centuries, and the artistic legacy of the period includes the most important examples of Byzantine art outside Istanbul.
This area has some of the most incredible Mosaics in Europe. I have included a few pictures in these pages.
This one is in the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia behind the Basilica di San Vitale.
Ravenna is currently a small town offering some of the world's most inspiring mosaics, beautiful churhces, Dante's bones, and access to a variety of beaches on the Adriatic coast - most notably in Rimini.
- Pros:Much history, art and interesting building
- Cons:Check opening times - this is a small town!
- In a nutshell:Even if you're not interested in the religous or historical aspects, this is still fascinating and beautiful
Mostly food and local necessities. Good for a browse around if you've got the time. You might find yourself something... more travel advice
Another Nave view of the many Saints approaching Mary and Jesus with gifts. more travel advice
MarvintheMartian's Related Pages
Ravenna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Byzantine culture blended with Italian flavour!"
- "Ravenna, City of Mosaics"
- "The magic of the mosaics"
- "Once was famous"
- "Ravenna - A Byzantine Centre"
- "Basilica di Sant' Apollinare Nuovo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ravenna
- Hotels in Ravenna
- Transportation in Ravenna
- Nightlife in Ravenna
- Restaurants in Ravenna
- Shopping in Ravenna
- Warnings and Dangers in Ravenna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ravenna
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Ravenna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ravenna
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torquay Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Devon Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shrewsbury Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues