"The Simpsons monorail was better" Wuppertal by bhorton
Wuppertal Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 155 photos
I lived here for 7 months, working for Vorwerk in the corporate development department (im Stammhaus, als Wirtschaftsentwicklung Mitarbeiter).
Wuppertal (pop. 370,000): half an hour from Duesseldorf, 45 minutes from Cologne.
The city is practically an eye sore, as its heyday was in the industrial era. Today, the city has a blue collar feel to it, however, it's old district in Elberfeld has its moments of culture.
The city is most famous for the suspended monorail (Scwebebahn) that runs through the city, over the Wupper river. Wuppertal got its name from the Wupper, and it means Wupper Valley.
The other notable attraction I can think of is the Pina Baush dance theater.
Nightclub hot spots include "Die Boerse," "Kultkontor," "Butan-Club."
- Pros:Schwebebahn is cool if you have kids
- Cons:nightlife is weak, as is quality food
- In a nutshell:Think Detroit
bhorton's Related Pages
Wuppertal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hanging around the Wuppertal"
- "Hanging trains in Wuppertal"
- "Trains , a zoo , history , icecream.."
- "Wuppertal - Home of the World Famous Schwebebahn"
- "The Simpsons monorail was better"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wuppertal
- Hotels in Wuppertal
- Transportation in Wuppertal
- Nightlife in Wuppertal
- Restaurants in Wuppertal
- Shopping in Wuppertal
- Warnings and Dangers in Wuppertal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wuppertal
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Wuppertal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wuppertal
Top 10 Pages
- Eugene Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Prague Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sunriver Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Malta Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Wuppertal Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Corvallis Intro, 1 review, 1 photo