"She sells seashells down by the seashore" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocean City by Rhondaj

Ocean City Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 308 photos

ATLANTIC CITY DOWN TO CAPE MAY

Instead of having a whole bunch of separate shore pages, I'm going to combine them all on one. Since most of my stuff is about Ocean City, I picked this page to plunk it all down on. Cape May will be the other predominantly featured shore.

I am lucky to live in a town that has roads of all kinds (interstates, highways, backroads) that lead to some great places. (especially since my own town has little to offer...) Here is an interesting tidbit about it though: Pennsville is the most westerly situated town in NJ. Anyway, jumping onto RT. 40 will take you all the way across the state till you can't go anymore, and there you will be in Atlantic City Don't go to Atlantic City for anything more than gambling, shows, or strolling the boardwalk. That's it. AC is full of crime of various seediness and every time I go there I have a close call of one nature or another.
So we cut off of Rt. 40 onto Rt. 559 and go down to the next big shore place, Ocean City.

Cape May Lighthouse

The lighthouse is located 2 miles south of Cape May in Cape May Point State Park. Hours of operation vary throughout the year. The tower is open every day, April through Nov., and on weekends most of the rest of the year. This lighthouse is still operated by the Coast Guard. In case you are wondering how many steps there are to get this wonderful view? 218

SEA ISLE CITY

Sea Isle is a nice beach for families with young children. Small and family oriented, you won't feel overwhelmed here. Beach tags are required. There isn't a boardwalk, but a 'promenade' that goes along the beach for a few blocks. There is an elaborate playground on 60th Street and Central Ave. And there is a small amusement ride area.

• Pros:the shoreline and ocean will heal your soul
  • Cons:can be very crowded, especially holiday weekends
  • In a nutshell:we say "going to the shore", not "the beach" (until we are there!)
  • Last visit to Ocean City: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 23, 2005

• sherrillbland's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Rhonda! You're a Jersey girl!!! Me too! I was born in Toms River, NJ. Moved away when I was seven, but I still consider NJ my home. I know I'm going to enjoy reading your pages and tips. Have a great day!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Shame about AC, huh? I have lovely memories of it in the 50's with my grandparents......as well as many, many summers in OC--being from Baltimore!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Love the pic of Aunt Nellie on the beach with her 1920's version of beach wear! yahooo!

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 11:27 AM

I bet it is nice there...At least you are not too far from the beach...I am hundred's of miles away from same :o(

• VinTolucci's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 5:06 PM

Nice catch! He was rockin' out to G'nR. Gotta love the Jersey shore! Bel Mar one of my favorite beaches here on the East Coast. See you on the shore! . . . V . . .

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 5:13 PM

awesome pages!! bring back some good memories when I used to go there...now if I can just get the seafood ship where I'm at...

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 9:34 AM

Love you shore page and tips. They bring back lots of memories. I grew up with vacations in Ocean City.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 11:27 AM

A beach vacation is the best!! You did a nice job on your commentary. I agree with your take on the surreys--too hard to pedal...still worth a laugh!

• RIPKEN_HOF's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 11:58 AM

Luv OC also...we r a little south..O.C., Md

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 3:43 AM

I like your commentary - you write so well.

Rhondaj Visits Here Frequently!

Rhondaj

“live well, laugh often, love much”

Badges & Stats in Ocean City

Have you been to Ocean City?

Latest Activity in Ocean City