"A Nature Lover's Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanibel Island by Rhondaj

Sanibel Island Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 382 photos

Mother Nature Working Overtime

As a reward for going down to Florida in the middle of the sultry summer to help pack up my grandma and move her back up north, my parents took me to Sanibel Island. They know I love nature and this was the perfect place to visit.

Beachcombing is one of Sanibel's highlights. With over 400 species of shells, these beaches are considered the best shelling beaches in America. This barrier island doesn't run north-south, but east-west, the better to snag the shells my dear!

Careful though, it is against the law to collect live shells, sand dollars, or starfish. And there's a heftly fine if you are caught!

They say winter is the best time for shelling, 2 hours before low tide, but I did just fine during the summer!

• Last visit to Sanibel Island: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2003

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Nice page! A friend of mine from work is going to Sanibel Island in a couple of weeks -- so, thanks to your page, I now have a better idea what it's like. Cheers, Bill

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Great job with your presentation of Sanibel Island. Sure wish I were there right now instead of in the snow, wind, and cold temperatures! Beautiful photographs. We loved visited Sanibel.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM

Often heard of, but never been to this island. This page makes me eager for summer! Love the water, the wildlife, the shells!

• Aug 10, 2005 at 2:57 AM

Nice enjoyable tips to read. The mispelling of Tarpon Bay Road made me chuckle, as I've never heard that one before. ;-)

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 9:26 PM

You, your pages and even your vanilla milk shakes at the Hilltop are a delight!!! You have really done a fine job writing pages and posting pics in here! Take care. Who remembers GSC? Ferd

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 7:34 AM

Enjoyed your Sanibel page - hope this lovely island makes a good comeback from Charley...cat

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2004 at 6:24 AM

Brillant Mirage! I see a casino by this name and female Elvis impersonators oh my!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2003 at 9:44 AM

Maybe the Olympics 100 meters should be run on hot sand to speed up the runners!! LOL. Great page, Rhonda and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2003 at 9:53 PM

That wildlife refuge sure is a mouthful:-) but sounds worth the visit. Those chips sure sound different...yum. Billy sure has a load of bikes there...lol nice way to get around though. I've read great things about this island.

• Nobbe's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2003 at 6:51 AM

Lovely photos of this place!!

Rhondaj

“live well, laugh often, love much”

Badges & Stats in Sanibel Island

Have you been to Sanibel Island?

Latest Activity in Sanibel Island