"Home Away From Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg by Rhondaj
Kandersteg Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 277 photos
After much research, (most of it here on VT ;-) I decided to book a family vacation to Kandersteg. I considered Grindelwald (too touristy), Interlaken (too cityish), Muerren (too hard to travel from), and a host of others.
After Kandersteg was decided upon, I had to book a place and plane fare. So more internet cruising! I discovered a site called Untours. It was just what I was looking for! First of all, their prices were equal to, or better than anything else I could find. Secondly, they took care of most of the details. Hmm...good price, less work for me, sounds great! We did book our own plane fare, although they will do that for you too. But other than that, Untours set us up fine and proper!
I told Untours we wanted to stay in Kandersteg. They set us up in a chalet. In the one we stayed in, we were upstairs and our landlady was downstairs. She only spoke german, so I was able to practice a lot! We were met at the train station in Zurich Airport by Susie and Beatrice, Untour representatives. Another couple, from Pennsylvania, was also going to Kandersteg. We all got our rail passes validated and jumped on a train. Rail passes came as part of the Untours package. We didn't have to pick up any luggage, it was being sent through all the way to our village. Nice...! On the train ride,Beatrice filled us in with lots of info. At the train station we were met by our landlady. Bye for now to Beatrice. We would see her later at 2 events we signed up for.
The moment I saw Kandersteg in real life I knew I had chosen correctly! Love at first sight! And my love only grew during our stay.
Our landlady walked us to our chalet. Luggage came in a few hours later-delivered by our landlady. Good deal! By now it's early evening and we are pooped! We only manage to explore the village a wee bit before falling into bed, exhausted to the core. Tomorrow we will wake early and get going!
- Pros:small enough to be cozy, big enough to explore
- Cons:none in my book ! may be too quiet for some...
- In a nutshell:Great take-off point for hikes and train trekking!
This well kept, flower adorned cemetery we did not come across until our last evening walk. We uncovered a lot of sights... more travel advice
For some reason we kept gravitating towards this place. Always busy and only one or two harried servers running around.... more travel advice
Rhondaj's Related Pages
Kandersteg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Away From Home"
- "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandersteg
- Hotels in Kandersteg
- Transportation in Kandersteg
- Nightlife in Kandersteg
- Restaurants in Kandersteg
- Shopping in Kandersteg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandersteg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kandersteg
- 34 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Kandersteg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandersteg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vitoria Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Zürich Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocean City Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Sommersdorf Intro, 5 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Himrod Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Latest Kandersteg hotel reviews
- Hotel Alpenblick
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2011
- Hotel Schweizerhof
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Bernerhof Kandersteg Hotel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Hotel Blumlisalp
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2013
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2013
- Hotel Alpina
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2012