"Home Away From Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg by Rhondaj

Kandersteg Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 291 photos

Who Could Ask For Anything More?

After much research, (most of it here on VT ;-) I decided to book a family vacation to Kandersteg. I considered Grindelwald (too touristy), Interlaken (too cityish), Muerren (too hard to travel from), and a host of others.

After Kandersteg was decided upon, I had to book a place and plane fare. So more internet cruising! I discovered a site called Untours. It was just what I was looking for! First of all, their prices were equal to, or better than anything else I could find. Secondly, they took care of most of the details. Hmm...good price, less work for me, sounds great! We did book our own plane fare, although they will do that for you too. But other than that, Untours set us up fine and proper!

I told Untours we wanted to stay in Kandersteg. They set us up in a chalet. In the one we stayed in, we were upstairs and our landlady was downstairs. She only spoke german, so I was able to practice a lot! We were met at the train station in Zurich Airport by Susie and Beatrice, Untour representatives. Another couple, from Pennsylvania, was also going to Kandersteg. We all got our rail passes validated and jumped on a train. Rail passes came as part of the Untours package. We didn't have to pick up any luggage, it was being sent through all the way to our village. Nice...! On the train ride,Beatrice filled us in with lots of info. At the train station we were met by our landlady. Bye for now to Beatrice. We would see her later at 2 events we signed up for.

The moment I saw Kandersteg in real life I knew I had chosen correctly! Love at first sight! And my love only grew during our stay.

Our landlady walked us to our chalet. Luggage came in a few hours later-delivered by our landlady. Good deal! By now it's early evening and we are pooped! We only manage to explore the village a wee bit before falling into bed, exhausted to the core. Tomorrow we will wake early and get going!

• Pros:small enough to be cozy, big enough to explore
  • Cons:none in my book ! may be too quiet for some...
  • In a nutshell:Great take-off point for hikes and train trekking!
  • Last visit to Kandersteg: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2004

• paulhanson's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2011 at 6:15 AM

I drove straight through Kandersteg on the way to the tunnel - I guess I should have stopped

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Wow, this place you found sounds great and we will look into it one day for possible trip. The cable car could set off my vertigo & acrophobia, but what an experience. YOur pictures and comments are well done

• beret's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2007 at 1:53 PM

mars is void of things like air. water. good places to eat. i summed it up perfectly.

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 9:37 AM

How about another piece of my heart instead?

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Very nice tips and photo's. ;-)

• dannebro's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I never heared that there are Lamas in Kandersteg !

• spitball's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 7:28 AM

Wow, Rhonda, I feel like I've just been to this place. Very descriptive, and I really like your photo's. Nice job ;)

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 5:59 AM

You've sold me, Kandersteg is now on my list! Thanks for the not so transparent visit to Murano... You know you were visitor #1, I just did the page today... instant feedback, Grazie!

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 5:31 AM

Even living in Switzerland, I have still not visit Kandersteg. Hope to visit soon the another side of my Alps... your page encourage to do so ;-) Greetings from the Snowy Alps.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Thanks for your comment on my page. I think, though, if we want to keep this place a secret, you'll need to delete your page as well... ;) Mark

Rhondaj

“live well, laugh often, love much”

Badges & Stats in Kandersteg

Have you been to Kandersteg?

Latest Activity in Kandersteg