"The Tang Dynasty Lychee Orchards of Genzi County" Genzi by Confucius
Genzi Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
There are several lychee trees which villagers claim are over 500 years old, including this tall specimen which still produces plenty of fruit. That would not predate the Ming dynasty, but this is still the original legendary orchard of the Tang dynasty emperors and ensuing dynasties.
In order to deliver fresh lychees to Yang Guifei, the Tang emperor's favorite concubine, a relay of horses was maintained from Genzi across China to Xian that continued nonstop 24 hours a day until the fruit arrived in the ancient capital.
Nowadays the lychees are transported by air to Honolulu where they are used to satisfy hula girls who enjoy drinking lychee martinis in Kaimuki.
These lychees were harvested from the site of the original Tang orchards where there are still several 500 year old trees which are capable of producing an abundance of fruit.
To my delight I also discovered that mangos are grown in Genzi as well and can be seen growing side by side with lychee trees.
In 2002 Genzi produced 20,000 tons of lychees! I think I consumed about five pounds myself.
Actually this young lady is demonstrating the Tibetan custom of greeting visitors by sticking out one's tongue. How thoughtful that she is simultaneously offering a fresh bunch of lychees from the ancient Tang orchards to honored guests from afar.
- Pros:Acres and acres of lychees and mangos
- Cons:Not too much else to do other than eating fruit all day long
- In a nutshell:If you love lychees as much as the legendary Yang Guifei then you must make one pilgrimage here
During harvest time in the lychee orchards, the People's Armed Forces department of Gaozhou City in Guangdong Province... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Genzi Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Genzi
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Genzi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Genzi
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- updated a Genzi Travel Page "The Tang Dynasty Lychee Orchards of Genzi County"
- Wrote a Review Don't even think about stealing imperial lychees! in Genzi Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't even think about stealing imperial lychees!"
Photos in GenziSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues