"Chaozhou: Go for the food, stay for the culture" Chaozhou by Confucius

Chaozhou Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 175 photos

Chaozhou people are among the friendliest in China

One of my best friends in China lives in Chaozhou. I met him during my initial expedition to northeast Guangdong several years ago. I was just touring a local museum and he saw my keen interest in certain details. The Chinese have an ancient saying "yi jian ru gu" which means "to feel like old friends at the first meeting" and since then he has introduced me to many new "old friends" in the Chaozhou area and in neighboring Fujian province.
This photo was taken at a school where I stopped by and entertained the children during their lunch break.

Chaozhou artisans are as famous as Chaozhou food

The detailed stone and wood carvings seen in Chaozhou are among the very best in China. This particular example is available for viewing by invitation only at the Chaozhou Cultural Relics Administration building, a mansion once owned by a wealthy scholar's family.

Chaozhou maintains many ancient traditions

These houses are typical of what one sees in the countryside of northeast Guangdong, but they are located in the middle of downtown.
Though modern construction has taken over much of the city, Chaozhou still has several streets in town where old architecture can be seen and appreciated.

• Intro Updated Jun 19, 2004

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 6:01 PM

Love that West Lake pic!! And now you've made me hungry talking about soup and steamed buns!! Looks yummy. Cheers, Ann :o)

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 6:31 AM

the carvings look a bit similar to those I saw at Nikko. Waaah! I want some of those delicious looking buns. :)

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 11:49 AM

I liked the bit about the old bridge being held up by boats in days gone by!

• xingfa's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2004 at 10:50 PM

No,thanks,Confucius.I just thinked whether I visited the building before,or the other place that with this kind of style.I remember that I took some pics about these before,but I can't find the pics now,so sore!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2004 at 12:53 AM

kids are so cute in your Chaozhou page.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2004 at 3:07 AM

I heard Chaozhou girls are most pretty... but these, aren't they a little too young? ;-)

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2003 at 7:12 PM

The people of Chaozhou sound lovely.. I love the main photo with the cuties.. ;-)

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2003 at 2:42 AM

Eh... Manapua???

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2003 at 6:10 PM

Which one of you lovely ladies pinched my buns? (There's 2 missing!)

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2003 at 6:35 PM

Cute buns

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Badges & Stats in Chaozhou

Have you been to Chaozhou?