"Chaozhou: Go for the food, stay for the culture" Chaozhou by Confucius
Chaozhou Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 175 photos
One of my best friends in China lives in Chaozhou. I met him during my initial expedition to northeast Guangdong several years ago. I was just touring a local museum and he saw my keen interest in certain details. The Chinese have an ancient saying "yi jian ru gu" which means "to feel like old friends at the first meeting" and since then he has introduced me to many new "old friends" in the Chaozhou area and in neighboring Fujian province.
This photo was taken at a school where I stopped by and entertained the children during their lunch break.
The detailed stone and wood carvings seen in Chaozhou are among the very best in China. This particular example is available for viewing by invitation only at the Chaozhou Cultural Relics Administration building, a mansion once owned by a wealthy scholar's family.
These houses are typical of what one sees in the countryside of northeast Guangdong, but they are located in the middle of downtown.
Though modern construction has taken over much of the city, Chaozhou still has several streets in town where old architecture can be seen and appreciated.
You're probably wondering how this Thai temple got transplanted on a remote hill outside of Chaozhou, China. Chaozhou is... more travel advice
In Chaozhou there are eight famous scenes along the Hanjiang River which flows through the city. One of them is from... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Chaozhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I love my hometown-Chaozhou"
- "Chaozhou: Go for the food, stay for the culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chaozhou
- Nightlife in Chaozhou
- Restaurants in Chaozhou
- Shopping in Chaozhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chaozhou
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Chaozhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chaozhou
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Commented on one of alywang's Chaozhou travel pages
- updated a Chaozhou Travel Page "Chaozhou: Go for the food, stay for the culture"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More decent Chaozhou photos taken by Confucius"
- Wrote a Review Palace of Thailand Amusement Park in Chaozhou Tourist Traps
Photos in ChaozhouSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues