Gyangze Hotel Tips by Confucius Top 5 Page for this destination

Gyangze Hotels: 106 reviews and 15 photos

You can stay here if you don't need a flush toilet - Gyangze

You can stay here if you don't need a flush toilet

Wu Tse Hotel: Avoid the Wu Tse Hotel in Gyangze

I did not stay at this hotel because it flunked the flush test. If the toilet doesn't flush, the hotel probably has other problems. I let the front desk staff show me about a dozen rooms, but none had a toilet that flushed properly.

I would only recommend this cheap hotel to somebody who doesn't flush the toilet.

Unique Qualities: This hotel also has a restaurant, and I ate lunch here even though I stayed at another hotel down the street (Jian Zang). The restaurant was empty except for me and one small Japanese tour group, but the service was inexcusably slow. I don't mind waiting a long time for dinner but a delayed lunch infringes on my daylight touring time, so I'm not patient with slow service at noon.

The only nice thing I have to say about the restaurant is that they make good parathas, a kind of bread common in India's cuisine.

Address: South Hero Road

Theme: Hotel

• Written Oct 3, 2006
The front door of the 3 star Gyangtse Hotel - Gyangze

The front door of the 3 star Gyangtse Hotel

Gyangtse Hotel: Gyangtse Hotel: Simply the best hotel in Gyangtse Gyantse Hotel Review

This three star hotel is simply the best in Gyangze. It has fancy Tibetan suites but you can get a standard room for 330 RMB. I tried to get breakfast included but the hotel refused so I only stayed one night then switched to the cheaper Jian Zang Hotel.
The Gyangtse Hotel is very comfortable and clean. I was pleased with the room and the hotel's guest services. I would recommend this hotel to anybody seeking high quality accomodations in Gyangze as there are no other hotels in town that come close.

Unique Qualities: The hotel's television has the BBC news channel. The sun-lit lobby shopping area has Chinese and Tibetan costumes available for rental, if you'd like a photograph of yourself in one.
Also available for rental are bicycles at the rate of 5 yuan per hour with a 300 RMB refundable deposit, however I was disappointed with the quality of the bikes.
There are restaurants catering to western tastes just outside the main gate as well as beyond the small north gate which is to the right as you exit the hotel onto Hero Road.
Also beyond the main gate on the immediate left is a cheap Internet cafe.

Address: 2 East Shanghai Street, Gyangze 857400

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Near the intersection of Shanghai Street and Hero Road

Phone: (892) 8172222

Price: US$40-80

Theme: Hotel

• Updated Oct 3, 2006
The Jian Zang Hotel as seen from across Hero Road - Gyangze

The Jian Zang Hotel as seen from across Hero Road

Jian Zang Hotel: The best budget hotel in Gyangze: Jian Zang Hotel

The Jian Zang is the best budget hotel in Gyangtse. This 2 star hotel has clean and comfortable rooms in a courtyard style building.
Don't be put off by the flies buzzing around inside the lobby. I inspected my 200 yuan standard room and did not see any insects. The shower does not have a curtain, but since I only stayed here one night that wasn't a major shortcoming.
Tibetan suites are available upon request.
The hotel has free parking for guests with their own vehicles.

Unique Qualities: The television does not have CNN or BBC, but CCTV 9 can provide adequate English language news.
Bicycles are available for a flat rental rate of 20 yuan per day.
The highlight of a stay at this hotel is meeting the general manager, Dr. Gyantsen. He named the hotel after himself, which is funny because the Chinese characters for his name (Jian Zang) translate as "Developing Tibet"
Dr. Gyantsen likes to hang out in the lobby and practice his English by greeting foreign guests.
His hotel's small brochure contains a blurb from Lonely Planet's Tibet guide book and he is eager to lure travellers away from the Gyangtse Hotel, which he views as his main competitor.
The brochure mentions hotel services such as "doctor on call" as well as "travel information desk"; Dr. Gyangtsen serves as both. (See additional photos)
Dr. Gyangtsen is very friendly and was glad to assist me in finding cheap alternative transportation to my next destination (Kangma).

Address: No. 14 South Hero Road

Comparison: about average

Directions: Centrally located in the town of Gyangze

Phone: (892) 8173720

Price: US$20-40

Theme: Motel

• Updated Oct 3, 2006

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Badges & Stats in Gyangze

Have you been to Gyangze?

Visiting Gyangze?
Read real reviews about Gyangze Hotels!