Gyangze Hotel Tips by Confucius Top 5 Page for this destination
Gyangze Hotels: 72 reviews and 15 photos
You can stay here if you don't need a flush toilet
I did not stay at this hotel because it flunked the flush test. If the toilet doesn't flush, the hotel probably has other problems. I let the front desk staff show me about a dozen rooms, but none had a toilet that flushed properly.
I would only recommend this cheap hotel to somebody who doesn't flush the toilet.
Unique Qualities: This hotel also has a restaurant, and I ate lunch here even though I stayed at another hotel down the street (Jian Zang). The restaurant was empty except for me and one small Japanese tour group, but the service was inexcusably slow. I don't mind waiting a long time for dinner but a delayed lunch infringes on my daylight touring time, so I'm not patient with slow service at noon.
The only nice thing I have to say about the restaurant is that they make good parathas, a kind of bread common in India's cuisine.
Address: South Hero Road
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Just down the street from Jian Zang Hotel on Hero Road
Phone: (892) 817 2909
Price: less than US$20
The front door of the 3 star Gyangtse Hotel
This three star hotel is simply the best in Gyangze. It has fancy Tibetan suites but you can get a standard room for 330 RMB. I tried to get breakfast included but the hotel refused so I only stayed one night then switched to the cheaper Jian Zang Hotel.
The Gyangtse Hotel is very comfortable and clean. I was pleased with the room and the hotel's guest services. I would recommend this hotel to anybody seeking high quality accomodations in Gyangze as there are no other hotels in town that come close.
Unique Qualities: The hotel's television has the BBC news channel. The sun-lit lobby shopping area has Chinese and Tibetan costumes available for rental, if you'd like a photograph of yourself in one.
Also available for rental are bicycles at the rate of 5 yuan per hour with a 300 RMB refundable deposit, however I was disappointed with the quality of the bikes.
There are restaurants catering to western tastes just outside the main gate as well as beyond the small north gate which is to the right as you exit the hotel onto Hero Road.
Also beyond the main gate on the immediate left is a cheap Internet cafe.
Address: 2 East Shanghai Street, Gyangze 857400
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Near the intersection of Shanghai Street and Hero Road
Phone: (892) 8172222
The Jian Zang Hotel as seen from across Hero Road
The Jian Zang is the best budget hotel in Gyangtse. This 2 star hotel has clean and comfortable rooms in a courtyard style building.
Don't be put off by the flies buzzing around inside the lobby. I inspected my 200 yuan standard room and did not see any insects. The shower does not have a curtain, but since I only stayed here one night that wasn't a major shortcoming.
Tibetan suites are available upon request.
The hotel has free parking for guests with their own vehicles.
Unique Qualities: The television does not have CNN or BBC, but CCTV 9 can provide adequate English language news.
Bicycles are available for a flat rental rate of 20 yuan per day.
The highlight of a stay at this hotel is meeting the general manager, Dr. Gyantsen. He named the hotel after himself, which is funny because the Chinese characters for his name (Jian Zang) translate as "Developing Tibet"
Dr. Gyantsen likes to hang out in the lobby and practice his English by greeting foreign guests.
His hotel's small brochure contains a blurb from Lonely Planet's Tibet guide book and he is eager to lure travellers away from the Gyangtse Hotel, which he views as his main competitor.
The brochure mentions hotel services such as "doctor on call" as well as "travel information desk"; Dr. Gyangtsen serves as both. (See additional photos)
Dr. Gyangtsen is very friendly and was glad to assist me in finding cheap alternative transportation to my next destination (Kangma).
Address: No. 14 South Hero Road
Comparison: about average
Directions: Centrally located in the town of Gyangze
Phone: (892) 8173720
More Reviews (8)
Confucius' Related Pages
Gyangze Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GORGEOUS GYANGZE!"
- "Gyangze, what will it look like when finished?"
- "Check it out! One of the best places in Tibet!"
- "Gyantse`s Pelkor Chöde Monastery, Kumbum and Dzong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gyangze
- Hotels in Gyangze
- Transportation in Gyangze
- Restaurants in Gyangze
- Warnings and Dangers in Gyangze
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hilton Manhattan East
- Clarion Hotel Nantasket Beach
- Jurys Clifton Ford Hotel
- Miramar Hotel
- Hilton Hawaiian Village
- Luxor Hotel and Casino
- Manila Airport Hotel
- Mercure Port Douglas Treetops Resort
- Hotel Ibis Maputo
- Fragrance Hotel Ruby
- Nova Lodge
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa, Los Cabos
- Americinn Glenwood Springs
- PP Island Hotel Penang
- Courtyard by Marriott Seoul Times Square
Badges & Stats in Gyangze
- 11 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Gyangze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gyangze
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Commented on one of nattybabe's Gyangze travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tour de Gyangze: Off the beaten path by bicycle"
- updated a Gyangze Travelogue "Tour de Gyangze: Off the beaten path by bicycle"
- Wrote a Review Visit the tiny vibrant village north of Gyangze! in Gyangze Off The Beaten Path
Photos in GyangzeSee All Photos (75)
Read real reviews about Gyangze Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (56)
Latest Gyangze hotel reviews
- Gyantse Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013