"French Lick: The Hometown of Larry Bird" French Lick by Confucius
French Lick Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 29 photos
Here is Maple Street, the main business district of downtown French Lick. I didn't do much research before my trip and just assumed that I would see a statue of Larry Bird in the town square.
Yet there is no statue, and the welcome signs you see upon entering French Lick city limits do not mention the legendary basketball hero. In fact, the only visual evidence of Larry Bird you'll see by driving around is the street which was named after him in 1979.
What you will observe however is plenty of basketball courts, including one on Larry Bird Boulevard that belongs to the local school. South of the old French Liquors shop you will see a private green full length basketball court on the left side of the street. I stopped my rental car in the middle of the road and asked the two young men shooting around if Larry once played there and one shouted back that he actually taught the NBA Hall of Famer everything he knows!
The funny name of this small town does make sense once you learn the history of the area. French traders started coming here in the mid-1700's and discovered mineral springs bubbling from the ground. At the same time, they noticed the abundance of wildlife that came here to lick the mineral deposits left on the ground and wet rocks. Those French traders thus called this special area "The Lick" because of the animal behavior they observed.
Based on this phenomena, the site of their trading post became known as "French Lick", and when a town later developed there a hundred years later it retained the old name given to it by early pioneers.
French Lick is a one and a half hour drive from Louisville, Kentucky, two and a half hours from Indianapolis, and 3 hours from Cincinnati, Ohio.
I took this photo through my car's windshield as I left French Lick and headed east toward the town of Paoli on Highway 150. Evidently the area surrounding Larry Bird's hometown has a few Amish settlements, as this sign warns automobiles to mind the occasional presence of horse and buggy traffic.
Unfortunately I did not encounter any Amish travellers during the ensuing 6 miles but the sight of this road sign was unusual enough to merit honorable mention on my French Lick page.
- Pros:It's the hometown of Larry Bird, the "Hick from French Lick"
- Cons:Not much to do aside from photographing street signs
- In a nutshell:Actual Population: 1941 (1,940 people + Larry Bird)
Wherever I travel, whether it's France or French Lick, I always look for Chinese restaurants. I was delighted to see... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
French Lick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "French Lick, Indiana"
- "French Lick, get your mind out of the gutter!"
- "French Lick- A great place to live"
- "French Lick: The Hometown of Larry Bird"
- "A little slice of heaven"
- "French Lick, Indiana"
- "Basaic French Lick Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in French Lick
- Hotels in French Lick
- Transportation in French Lick
- Nightlife in French Lick
- Restaurants in French Lick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in French Lick
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to French Lick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in French Lick
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Commented on one of Dabs's French Lick travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Why do basketball fans visit French Lick?"
- Wrote a Review The Chinese restaurant where Larry once ate! in French Lick Restaurants
- updated a French Lick Travel Page "French Lick: The Hometown of Larry Bird"
Photos in French LickSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues