"Indiana's Largest Waterfall: Cataract Falls" Cataract by Confucius
Cataract Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
The sign says "No Swimming", but most people come to Cataract Falls just for a peek or a picnic. The day I visited was right after an early April storm had emptied buckets of rain on southwest Indiana, so the falls were in fine form.
Cataract Falls is located between Indianapolis and Indiana State University (Terre Haute), south of the intersection of highways 70 and 231. Alongside the falls you will also see a covered bridge that was built in 1882.
There is an upper and lower falls. I only went to the Upper Falls because the lower falls are much further down the road and I was in a hurry to get to French Lick. I have since seen photos of the lower falls on the internet and believe the upper falls are more spectacular.
Note: There is a toll booth operated by the state of Indiana that collects an entrance fee during the busy summer months. I went in early spring when it is as free as the fresh air you breathe there.
Meet Cataract Bridge! It's located next to the upper falls and can be seen from the road approaching the park. It was built in 1882 and used for over 100 years before Indiana officials decided to build an alternative bridge next to it and preserve it as part of the state park.
There are many red covered bridges in this part of Indiana. They were all built at the turn of the century and look pretty much the same. You can see a couple more on my Bainbridge page and if you are a true covered bridge fanatic then you might get a kick out of my Fujian (China) province page as well.
Confucius' Related Pages
Cataract Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cataract
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cataract?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cataract
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues