"Mykonos: The Greek Island of Windmills" Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Island by Confucius

Mykonos Island Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 183 photos

Mykonos is ready for you!

Is it a coincidence that this pretty fishing boat with octopus hanging out to dry is docked so close to where cruise ships disembark? I wonder if it is a permanently anchored fixture placed there by the local Mykonos Tourist Bureau. Do they just change the octopus daily?

I had hoped to get a photo like this on some Greek Island but didn't expect it to be the very first thing I see on Mykonos. Oh well, with "Octopus Drying On Boat" checked off of my list it was time to proceed to white houses, windmills and pelicans.

Oh look! I found the windmills!

These windmills are the number one reason people go to Mykonos. You don't believe me? Of course nobody really says "I want to go to Mykonos to see the windmills" but that's what everybody ends up doing first upon arrival to this island.
Mykonos is bare with little more than white houses and a fishing village atmosphere to attract tourists. Add a few windmills along with a couple of pelicans and crowds will keep coming back year after year. Amazing, isn't it?

The Mykonos Blues

Do you like this picture? I love it! This is a gift shop located in the little town by the cruise ship port. The shopowner decorated the entire outdoor facade with paintings depicting the windmills of Mykonos. The same vivid blue hue is used in each painting, so it's quite a sight when compared to the dull white color of every building in town. In the window you can see the assortment of Greece souvenirs available inside the shop.

• Pros:One of the best Chinese restaurants in Greece is on this island!
  • Cons:There's not much to see after you've seen the windmills and pelicans
  • In a nutshell:Not as nice as Santorini, but still fun in its own Mykonos kind of way
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2006

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Hi having a look to see if you still didnt go see Delos - only half an hour trip from Mykonos - had a fab visit here in May and managed to fit Delos in to my 3/4 day stay on Mykonos. Enjoyed yr windmill chasing thanks.

• abvideo's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 8:16 AM

yes of course I remember that pelikan !

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 6:44 PM

Windmills of my mind :) Mykonos & chinese food? Well, Mykonos will have to wait, but China, here I come in 2 weeks! Xian, Chongqing & Wuhan. Are u anywhere near there?

• shuguang's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 7:37 AM

I like the color of sea, sky, and dream, blue, too!

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Badges & Stats in Mykonos Island

Have you been to Mykonos Island?

Latest Activity in Mykonos Island