"Mykonos: The Greek Island of Windmills" Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Island by Confucius
Mykonos Island Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 183 photos
Is it a coincidence that this pretty fishing boat with octopus hanging out to dry is docked so close to where cruise ships disembark? I wonder if it is a permanently anchored fixture placed there by the local Mykonos Tourist Bureau. Do they just change the octopus daily?
I had hoped to get a photo like this on some Greek Island but didn't expect it to be the very first thing I see on Mykonos. Oh well, with "Octopus Drying On Boat" checked off of my list it was time to proceed to white houses, windmills and pelicans.
These windmills are the number one reason people go to Mykonos. You don't believe me? Of course nobody really says "I want to go to Mykonos to see the windmills" but that's what everybody ends up doing first upon arrival to this island.
Mykonos is bare with little more than white houses and a fishing village atmosphere to attract tourists. Add a few windmills along with a couple of pelicans and crowds will keep coming back year after year. Amazing, isn't it?
Do you like this picture? I love it! This is a gift shop located in the little town by the cruise ship port. The shopowner decorated the entire outdoor facade with paintings depicting the windmills of Mykonos. The same vivid blue hue is used in each painting, so it's quite a sight when compared to the dull white color of every building in town. In the window you can see the assortment of Greece souvenirs available inside the shop.
- Pros:One of the best Chinese restaurants in Greece is on this island!
- Cons:There's not much to see after you've seen the windmills and pelicans
- In a nutshell:Not as nice as Santorini, but still fun in its own Mykonos kind of way
What are your endearing images of Mykonos without the windmills and pelicans? Is it the white buildings and blue paint?... more travel advice
I told VT member Sinequanon, A Greek naturalist in Athens, that I would do some serious birdwatching in Greece. (After... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Mykonos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIZARRE NAVEL OF AEGEAN SEA"
- "MYKONOS ISLAND, GREECE"
- "Mykonos in May"
- "Mykonos: The Greek Island of Windmills"
- "one night in mykonos"
- "The one you love to hate!"
- "Mykonos - a two sided island - crazy and tame"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mykonos Island
- Hotels in Mykonos Island
- Transportation in Mykonos Island
- Nightlife in Mykonos Island
- Restaurants in Mykonos Island
- Shopping in Mykonos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mykonos Island
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Mykonos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mykonos Island
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mykonos Memories"
- updated a Mykonos Island Travel Page "Mykonos: The Greek Island of Windmills"
- Wrote a Review Mykonos Memories in Mykonos Island Favorites
- Commented on one of dambigir's Mykonos Island travel pages
Photos in Mykonos IslandSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues