"The Plaka is a separate destination within Athens" Plaka by Confucius
Plaka Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 36 photos
You might want to save the Plaka for last during your stay in Athens. It is mainly a tourist shopping district, although there are also a few historic attractions and a couple churches of interest. The Plaka district is also popular for its outdoor cafes, where you can enjoy views of the Acropolis and passing tourists.
Yet the overwhelming image you get from walking around the Plaka is the multitude of merchants selling every type of souvenir. You can find good bargains, but you'll need to take time comparing prices as the Hellas hat I finally bought for 3 Euros was being sold for 4, 5, and even 7 Euros elsewhere within the Plaka.
I was told by my tour guide that the Plaka attracts not only tourists from all over the world but also Greeks from every part of Greece. I can only guess that this meandering musician wandered into the Plaka from afar.
I saw an extraordinary number of outdoor cafes in the Plaka district. They seem to be popular with tourists as there were plenty that had no seats available during my lunchtime stroll. Not all have views of the Acropolis, as some people are content to just sit and watch other tourists who are walking around in search of an outdoor cafe.
- Pros:The best place to buy all of your Greece souvenirs
- Cons:Prices vary for the same item so shop around first
- In a nutshell:Start early; then shop 'til you drop at an outdoor cafe
One of the first things I noticed when walking Plaka's streets is that many merchants are selling the same souvenirs.... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Plaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Plaka- Psiri- Thisio- Exarhia -The heart of Athens"
- "In the heart of Athens"
- "The Plaka is a separate destination within Athens"
- "PLAKA IS A PLEASURE"
- "PLAKA: Eat, Drink and be Merry"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plaka
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Plaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plaka
Photos in PlakaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues