"I Really Really Enjoyed Ely" Top 5 Page for this destination Ely by Confucius

Ely Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 212 photos

The town's name rhymes with "Really", not "Rely"

The name "Ely" is derived from the term "Isle of Eels" as the town was once surrounded by water and marshland where an abundance of eels were caught. The eels were a source of food and income for the folks who lived in the fens.

Ely Cathedral has rooftop tours

Ely Cathedral is the memorable highlight of a visit to Ely. Work began on its construction in 1083, nearly 200 years after Danish Vikings destroyed the monastery which was previously in its place. What you see today is architecture from the 12th to 16th centuries as you walk from back to front. Most of the stained glass and all of the ceiling's painting was done during the Victorian era in the 19th century.
Take the guided tour and hear the Cathedral's stories brought back to life, starring King Henry VIII as the villain responsible for extensive Taliban-like damage to the Cathedral by the iconoclastic zeal of the Reformation radicals during his destructive "Dissolution of the Monasteries" campaign.
The highest of the highlights is climbing atop the roofs of both the West Tower and the Octagon to get closer looks at the Cathedral as well as distant views of Ely and the surrounding countryside.

Get up close to Cathedral's stained glass windows

There's a stained glass museum inside the cathedral, but you can also get face to face with the stained glass by taking the Octagon Tour.

• In a nutshell:Ely is really a great day trip from Cambridge!
  • Last visit to Ely: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Excellent page! Would like to browse in "that" antique shop, always enjoy wandering around these shops!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 11:02 AM

I will be in Ely in a few weeks,your tips will be very helpful! Thank you!

• MAIGO's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Hi! I gave this title for voice and read AND bit my tonge.....Ache! I didn't know,Ely had the roots of rumune. It was studied. I enjoyed this page and wanted to Ely in the future. ARIGATO~!!

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Great tips. The Japanese imported Lemonade from England in those strange bottles. The name Ramune comes from Lemonade, and they kept the same style of bottle. I used to dig those bottles up as a kid in my back yard :).

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Strange to see a Harley monument in England, the company started up in Wisconsin, any reason for a statue I guess ;-)

• Oct 15, 2006 at 7:26 AM

I have visited the China Inn. Had to inspect it following flooding in heavy rain. The joys of my job.

• Spincat's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 10:49 AM

Strange! I was here in may too! But my brother lives near here so I go quite a bit. i learnt a lot from your pages. i love this place. When I went we were lucky to find a guide who took us to Prior Crawdor's chapel (usually locked)

• Suet's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 2:35 AM

It's a nice place lol! thanks for stopping by my pages :)

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2006 at 6:11 AM

Ely is REALLY Ely, really very nice indeed!

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Badges & Stats in Ely