"Littleport: Famous for Harleys and Riots" Littleport by Confucius
Littleport Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos
At the beginning of the 21st century, Littleport decided that they needed a new village sign. The previous one depicted armed rioters walking around the streets; an incident that occured in 1816 which is Littleport's original claim to fame.
This is the new sign, which was unveiled on June 24, 2001. It presents a kinder gentler image of the village, including a windmill! (Tourists love windmills; just look at Mykonos!)
I have included a photo of the old sign in a travelogue for comparison.
Imagine if the only thing your hometown was famous for was riots. No wonder the village of Littleport threw a huge party when the Harley Davidson motorcycle statue was unveiled.
Harleys and riots? What's the connection? I followed the little blue signs in the village and they led me to the interesting answer.
This late 19th century house was converted to a bank in 1914. The historic building was re-thatched in 1984.
Thatch as a roofing material will likely soon disappear from England's landscape. The danger of fire has led to many district councils prohibiting the use of thatch on new roofs. Also, thatching is almost a lost art in England. There just aren't many roof-thatchers passing their skills down to the next generation. (Insert Margaret Thatcher joke.)
Terms used in roof-thatching may now only be heard in antique shops. In bygone days the roof-thatcher used a "strood" to hold the loose straw. Then using his spars, split rods pointed at each end, he made neat pegs for the fastening of the straw rope that he cleverly twisted with a simple tool called a "wimble" (Yes, the very same "wimble" in Wimbledon).
- Pros:Less than 20 minutes by bus from Ely
- Cons:No antique shops, if that's what you were looking for
- In a nutshell:Tour Littleport in the same amount of time as the bus ride from Ely
Littleport if only 5 miles from Ely and just over an hour by bus from Cambridge. It is very easy to hop on a bus from... more travel advice
Littleport is famous for Harleys and riots. The co-founder of the Harley Davidson Motor Company, William Sylvester... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Littleport Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Littleport
- Transportation in Littleport
- Restaurants in Littleport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Littleport
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Littleport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Littleport
Photos in LittleportSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues