"When in Paris, stay in Puteaux" Puteaux by Confucius

Puteaux Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 63 photos

Puteaux is a nice place to geaux!

Puteaux is a neighborhood south of La Defense on the west side of the Seine river. I'm so glad it's in the VT database as now I can add one more destination even though it's still part of Paris.

I stayed in 2 hotels here and recommend this area for travellers whose next destination is London. The Eurolines bus terminal at La Defense is just a short walk away. It's also a 15 minute walk to the Esplanade de la Defense Metro station and there are shops, bakeries, and restaurants near almost any hotel you choose. (I recommend Hotel Vivaldi.)

Puteaux is clean, quiet, safe, and cosmopolitan. You'll notice there isn't a lot of graffiti here when compared to neighborhoods in northern Paris and other outlying areas. You'll also see plenty of friendly Middle Eastern mothers who like to go to the local park and watch their children play with toys.

Perhaps most tourists like to stay closer to the center of Paris but I didn't mind the commute from La Defense each day. I found a good Chinese take-away restaurant and a nice hotel, which is all I really needed since I was only in Puteaux during the early morning and evening hours.

Puteaux is just south of La Defense

When I look at this huge arch, I can't help imagining a large soccer goal and the round building on the left looks like a ball. From La Defense you can gaze through the haze east and see the Arch of Triumph, which I suppose could be utilized as the other soccer goal for a friendly match between King Kong and Godzilla.

A good place to go for Chinese take-out in Puteaux

I found this excellent Chinese take-out (or "take-away" as they say in London) restaurant across the street from Hotel Vivaldi in Puteaux.
Xin Yuan serves a variety of dim sum and Chinese entrees, including shrimp dumplings and those crispy crab puff things with the claw sticking out. Delicious! The only problem of course is that there's no place to dine inside the restaurant, so you either take it back to your hotel room or go sit in the park around the corner.

• Pros:Convenient transportation to and around Paris
  • Cons:Many of the local shops close by 5 p.m.
  • In a nutshell:A good little place to stay while visiting Paris
  • Last visit to Puteaux: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 26, 2006

• cold_dead_bunny's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 12:04 PM

ooops did not meant to say dead... anyways, bring me from america bubblegums and hot cowboy... I'll be waitin'!!! ps, I am glad you back ;)

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 12:16 AM

Throughout all my years in Paris, I have YET to try the Chinese food there. So thanks for the tip! (and I see Musashi and his "doos" would be more than welcome there too!) ;-))

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Badges & Stats in Puteaux

Have you been to Puteaux?