"When in Paris, stay in Puteaux" Puteaux by Confucius
Puteaux Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 63 photos
Puteaux is a neighborhood south of La Defense on the west side of the Seine river. I'm so glad it's in the VT database as now I can add one more destination even though it's still part of Paris.
I stayed in 2 hotels here and recommend this area for travellers whose next destination is London. The Eurolines bus terminal at La Defense is just a short walk away. It's also a 15 minute walk to the Esplanade de la Defense Metro station and there are shops, bakeries, and restaurants near almost any hotel you choose. (I recommend Hotel Vivaldi.)
Puteaux is clean, quiet, safe, and cosmopolitan. You'll notice there isn't a lot of graffiti here when compared to neighborhoods in northern Paris and other outlying areas. You'll also see plenty of friendly Middle Eastern mothers who like to go to the local park and watch their children play with toys.
Perhaps most tourists like to stay closer to the center of Paris but I didn't mind the commute from La Defense each day. I found a good Chinese take-away restaurant and a nice hotel, which is all I really needed since I was only in Puteaux during the early morning and evening hours.
When I look at this huge arch, I can't help imagining a large soccer goal and the round building on the left looks like a ball. From La Defense you can gaze through the haze east and see the Arch of Triumph, which I suppose could be utilized as the other soccer goal for a friendly match between King Kong and Godzilla.
I found this excellent Chinese take-out (or "take-away" as they say in London) restaurant across the street from Hotel Vivaldi in Puteaux.
Xin Yuan serves a variety of dim sum and Chinese entrees, including shrimp dumplings and those crispy crab puff things with the claw sticking out. Delicious! The only problem of course is that there's no place to dine inside the restaurant, so you either take it back to your hotel room or go sit in the park around the corner.
- Pros:Convenient transportation to and around Paris
- Cons:Many of the local shops close by 5 p.m.
- In a nutshell:A good little place to stay while visiting Paris
Hotel Vivaldi is my choice for a pleasant stay in Puteaux. It was good value for 60 Euros, which is not easy to find in... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Puteaux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visiting the Arch of La Defense"
- "When in Paris, stay in Puteaux"
- "Puteaux, La Defensé's little brother..."
- "Puteaux - La Défense"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puteaux
- Hotels in Puteaux
- Transportation in Puteaux
- Nightlife in Puteaux
- Restaurants in Puteaux
- Shopping in Puteaux
- Warnings and Dangers in Puteaux
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Puteaux
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Puteaux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puteaux
Photos in PuteauxSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues