"Take Your Time In Tanjung Pinang" Tanjungpinang by Confucius
Tanjungpinang Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 78 photos
I was walking from my hotel to the pier when I passed by a community center which was getting ready for a wedding procession. The family of the groom saw me listening to the live traditional music from across the street and invited me to participate in the ceremony with a simple wave and a big smile.
The groom was carried on the shoulders of his two best men and there was an exciting knife dance ritual performed by two martial artists. The live music consisted of a small gamelan set, some drums, and a big gong.
I stayed for the reception afterwards, of course, and pretended to be shy in sampling the wonderful wedding buffet of Indonesian cuisine. Some of the dishes had catchy names like "gado gado" which was an unusual salad with peanut sauce. There may have been some special cultural significance attached to the foods I ate but at least I recall it all tasted delicious.
This photo was taken near the wedding ceremony that I was invited to attend as a tourist armed with a camera.
Awwww, they're not real seals.
- Pros:The people are so incredibly friendly and hospitable
- Cons:You kind of have to go to Singapore first, not really convenient from Bali or Jakarta
- In a nutshell:Tanjung Pinang is the people's part of Bintan that you will enjoy most
This small island is only two and a half square kilometers and is just offshore of Tanjung Pinang. You can hire a cheap... more travel advice
So you're walking around the village and you see this huge tree and think to yourself, "Aw, it's just another big old... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Tanjungpinang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Take Your Time In Tanjung Pinang"
- "Kawal Kelong @ Tanjung Pinang"
- "Keeweechic's Tanjung Pinang"
- "Tanjung Pinang"
- "Tanjung Pinang"
- "Sangsuperstar Trip To TanjungPinang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tanjungpinang
- Hotels in Tanjungpinang
- Transportation in Tanjungpinang
- Nightlife in Tanjungpinang
- Restaurants in Tanjungpinang
- Warnings and Dangers in Tanjungpinang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tanjungpinang
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Tanjungpinang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tanjungpinang
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Commented on one of y_lyn's Tanjungpinang travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Senggarang Chinese Village Buddhist Statues"
- Wrote a Review Take a trip further back in time at Penyenget in Tanjungpinang Things to Do
- updated a Tanjungpinang Travelogue "Penyenget: Former Capital of the Riau Sultanate"
Photos in TanjungpinangSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues