"Chek Lap Kok, better known as "Hong Kong Airport"" Chek Lap Kok by Confucius
Chek Lap Kok Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 33 photos
Chek Lap Kok used to be a small sparsely populated parcel of territory off the coast of Lantau, then the Hong Kong government "clicked to enlarge" and built a new airport on reclaimed land.
Some of you may remember Hong Kong's previous airport, Kai Tak, on the tip of the Kowloon peninsula. Who can forget the thrilling views from the airplane window as the jet descended amidst tall buildings. Many planespotting tourists used to visit Kowloon City rooftops to get close-up shots as jets landed at Kai Tak airport.
Now the only excitement of landing at Chek Lap Kok airport is for kids looking out the aircraft's window to try and see Hong Kong Disneyland. One thing everybody can look forward to though is the presence of Hui Lau Shan dessert shop in the Arrivals Hall. What a way to welcome yourself to Hong Kong!
When Chek Lap Kok opened in July 1998, it was discovered that the polished black marble floors in the Departures Hall were too shiny. Airport officials scrambled to rebuff the surface when it became known that the mirror-like reflection could show the undergarments of women wearing skirts. How this knowledge reached the government's Airport Authority is still a topic of snickering conversation among those familiar with Hong Kong's social scene.
Confucius' Related Pages
Chek Lap Kok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On Lantau Disneyland finally opened!"
- ">> visit the beautiful pinky dolphins "
- "Chek Lap Kok, better known as "Hong Kong Airport""
- "Hong Kong's International Airport"
- "CHEK LAP KOK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, HONG KONG"
- "Chek Lap Kok Airport"
- "WElcome To Hong Kong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chek Lap Kok
- Hotels in Chek Lap Kok
- Transportation in Chek Lap Kok
- Restaurants in Chek Lap Kok
- Shopping in Chek Lap Kok
- Warnings and Dangers in Chek Lap Kok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chek Lap Kok
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Chek Lap Kok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chek Lap Kok
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Wrote a Review Cheap dim sum in Hong Kong Airport? "YES way!" in Chek Lap Kok Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cheap dim sum in Hong Kong Airport? "YES way!""
- created a Chek Lap Kok Travel Page "Chek Lap Kok, better known as "Hong Kong Airport""
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues