"Hushan Great Wall and "Yi Bu Kua" (North Korea)" Hushan by Confucius
Hushan Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 32 photos
This recent reconstruction is based on a part of the Great Wall that once extended all the way to Korea.
From the watchtower atop Tiger Mountain you can see across the river and also survey the plot of land north of the Yalu which officially belongs to North Korea.
This photo was taken looking southwest from a high point on the Wall toward the China horizon.
On the left is China. The small plot of land surrounded by water on the right officially belongs to North Korea.
The narrow tributary that divides the two countries is a tourist attraction near Dandong located adjacent to Hushan (Tiger Mountain) Great Wall. This aerial border photo viewing the narrowest point of the tributary was taken from atop the Great Wall's beacon tower.
It is precisely at this location where tourists leap across the border to North Korea and hop back before the occasional North Korean sentry makes an appearance along the trail which is visible in my reconnaissance photo.
There were no guards on the China side when I last visited in 2002.
This photo shows the ascent to the beacon tower along the Great Wall and Tiger Mountain. The tower is the terminus of this reconstruction of the Great Wall. Beyond the ridge is the Yalu River and a panoramic view of the North Korean countryside.
- Pros:See the Great Wall and set foot in North Korea the same day!
- Cons:Occasionally the North Korean sentry will appear and challenge border hoppers
- In a nutshell:This is definitely a thrilling excursion from Dandong you don't want to miss!
Wild pigs and tigers once roamed this area of northeast China. One might guess that those animals would have had to... more travel advice
My favorite spot in Hushan is just beyond this rock, which marks the famous "Yi Bu Kua" leaping point for those who wish... more travel advice
Confucius' Related Pages
Hushan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Hushan
- Transportation in Hushan
- Warnings and Dangers in Hushan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hushan
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Hushan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hushan
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Dazhalan Market and Silk Market"
- Commented on one of pravit726's Hushan travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "2 ways to get to Hushan from Dandong"
- Wrote a Review Feeding the animals across China's border in Hushan Local Customs
- updated a Hushan Travel Page "Hushan Great Wall and "Yi Bu Kua" (North Korea)"
Photos in HushanSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Lhasa Intro, 16 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 36 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Intro, 11 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 7 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ely Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues