"Hluhluwe Game Reserve, South Africa 2003" Top 5 Page for this destination Hluhluwe Game Reserve by linnyloo
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 246 photos
Hluhluwe (pronounced, shu-shlew-we) is situated in the province of KwaZulu Natal, in the heart of Zululand.
It was estabished in 1895 as a wildlife sanctuary,after uncontrolled hunting threatened many animal species, together with neighbouring park, Umfolozi.
The two combined recently to become known as the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Park.
The park covers 96 000 hectares of ground. The topography is fairly hilly, which allows for some incredible view sites over the park.
The park is home to the 'big 5' (lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo & elephant) as well as many other animal species.
The roads are well maintained for self-drive holidays/tours and are well signposted.
Game drives in a 4x4 vehicle are available at various times of the day, (and a night drive) and are booked at the different camps. These are recommended as the drivers are experienced and one can learn a lot. They are also in contact with other drivers and know where to go to 'track' lion etc depending on your viewing prority.
Bush walks with an (armed) experienced field guide can be booked. Approximately 2 hours in duration.
Wilderness trails (mid March to December) take you into the heart of the bush, camping overnight at tented camps or bush camps. All food and accomodation included!
When the water leveles are high enough, a boat trip on the Hluhluwe dam can be booked.
Please see travelogue for more photos and descriptions!!
The Mpunyane Restaurant offers a full English buffet breakfast every day. Lunches from Monday to Saturday are a la... more travel advice
linnyloo's Related Pages
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE"
- "Ancient hunting ground of the Zulu Kings"
- "Game viewing, starlit nights and happiness."
- "Hluhluwe Game Reserve, South Africa 2003"
- "Our 3 night stay in Tree House Bonamanzi G.Park"
- "HLUHLUWE/ UMFOLOZI PARK"
- "The oldest Game Reserve in Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Hotels in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Transportation in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Shopping in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Hluhluwe Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drakensberg Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Leukerbad Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saalbach Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hluhluwe Game Reserve Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plettenberg Bay Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Engelberg Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Lago di Como Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Jervis Bay Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue