"Have a peek at my world..." yumiyun's Profile

Thank you for dropping by!

I hope you enjoy my travel pages. Many of my past travel pages are under construction due to the fact I don't have photos with me at the moment. The most recent addtions to travel pages are Madurai and Rameswaram, India.

Please leave a comment since that's the only way I know you have visited my page. I'm open to compliments and criticisms, but no cut and paste messages, please!

Planet of Water

Water is a basic needs of human beings. We cannot, by all means, live without water. However, securing safe drinking water and access to water resource are pressing issues today.

Although 70% of the earth's surface is covered with water, most of it is undrinkable. The human needs for water evolves around mostly around freshwater from the lakes and rivers. Population growth and increase in agriculture, industry and recreation have intensified the water scarcity in last few centuries. Moreover, use of pesticides and dumping of sewage and industrial waste has conteminated the water.

Freshwater is a precious and finite resource. Is there going to be enough water for us in the future?

DamNation: What do dams do?

Dams control flood, irrigate agricultural land, generate electricity etc. Unfortunately, construction of dams is one of the most destructive businesses around the world today. Construction of dam and its reservoir destroys the fragile ecosytems and displaces a large number of people. Impacts of dam also extends to downstreams affecting fisheries and polluting the water. Dams also cause waterborn diseases and sometimes even earthquake.

Big international agencies like the World Bank and Asian Development Bank are working hard financing more dam project across the globe. Want to see the disturbing reality of dam business? Read Arundhati Roy's essay "Greater Common Good."

• Intro Updated Jul 10, 2003

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

A very Happy Birthday to you and hope you have a great time on your big day and all throughout the year ahead too. May all your travel dreams come true!!!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Where'd you get the apsara from?
    Lovely pages!

• yumiyun's Profile Photo
      Aug 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Thanks. The apsara is from Sigiriya, Sri Lanak. I haven't updated my pages for years...

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!! Lovely lifelike paintings!!! Nice page!! Interesting thought provoking topics about water, dams and Arundhati Roy's book!! Really liked that and her views on the nuclear arms and dam issues. Great work!!!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Happy birthdaygreetings from the Netherlands.

• schwein's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Happy birthday! Nice pages!

• pattayaraj's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Happy New Year! Wish you a very happy,healthy and blessing for this 2008. : ))

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Happy birthday to you from Istanbul/Turkiye..I wish that you realize all your dreams...good luck ...

• Apr 2, 2007 at 10:18 PM

could you please brief your experience and itinerary about your trip to Madurai and Rameswaram. I along with some friends is planning a trip in July-August.... Thanks in advance....

• Feb 6, 2007 at 11:41 PM

How did you get to Rameswaram? Is it safe to travel alone as a female? I have visited the temple a long time ago with my family but this is my first time travelling alone! What are your thoughts? Pls contact me at mythilipandi@gmail.com. Thanks! Mythili

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!