"Where the neon lights are pretty..." Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku by bpacker
Shinjuku Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 323 photos
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?.......
......The lights are much brighter there
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go.....
( Petula Clark, Downtown )
Ok, so Shinjuku isn't really downtown Tokyo, but I can't help thinking of this song when I was there. Shinjuku is the place where people never sleeps. Even when this picture was taken at about 8pm, the busy Tokyoites still thronged the streets. You can literally feel the electric atmosphere, the buzz, just by walking around that place .
The pretty neon lights also captivated the Oscar -winning Ms Coppola. "Lost in translation" was filmed almost entirely in Shinjuku Park Hyatt Hotel and there are some scenes where you'll see Bill Murray sprinting down the streets of Shinjuku with Scarlett Johanssan.
Well, other than the neon lights, there's also other pockets of life in Shinjuku. There's a pretty park, smack right in the centre of Shinjuku, that's really worth checking out, especially during Spring.
Somehow in the midst of the city, there lies a spot of greenery and vermillion in the city park. Check out the lovely red maple leaves in the dead of winter. For a haiku on this,click here
Within the park, lies a mini temple. Funny to find tradition in the midst of modernization. These are prayer tablets found by the temple
- Pros:plenty to do at night, great food and shopping
- Cons:expensive accomodation
- In a nutshell:The city that never sleeps
Have you ever watched 'Lost in Translation' starring Scarlet Johansson and Bill Murray? If you have, then you would know... more travel advice
Come the end of March to the beginning of April,Sakura, or Japanese cherry blossoms are generally in bloom in this... more travel advice
- Of Vagrants and Illegal Workers
- See All Pubbing in Shinjuku
- See All Buying a Chihuahua in Kabuki-Cho
bpacker's Related Pages
Shinjuku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the neon lights are pretty..."
- "Shinjuku & Ginza - Famous Places in Tokyo"
- "Newer Tokyo"
- "Tokyo's Shinjuku"
- "The pulse of Tokyo"
- "Skyscrapers everywhere"
- "Shinjuku - Tokyo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shinjuku
- Hotels in Shinjuku
- Transportation in Shinjuku
- Nightlife in Shinjuku
- Restaurants in Shinjuku
- Shopping in Shinjuku
- Warnings and Dangers in Shinjuku
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shinjuku
- 18 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Shinjuku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shinjuku
Photos in ShinjukuSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues