"Singapore, My Lil' Haven" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore by bpacker

Singapore Travel Guide: 11,464 reviews and 26,731 photos

Singaporean VTers

Quick Update : Someone once asked me what they should not miss if they pop down to this little spot in South East Asia. Well, other than stuffing your face full with delectable food like the famed food writer, Anthony Bourdain, you should also meet up with the motley bunch of VTers if you have the chance. Though I am not very regular with the meetings these days since I'm mostly out of town, I dare say I always have a blast of time with these fellas. Everyone is enthusiastic about food and the atmosphere is always warm and welcoming. It sure beats interacting online when you have a steaming pot of food in front of you;p plus you get more insider tips with us locals. We promise not to talk about the Merlion or wax too much lyrical about the zoo.

A big welcome to my Singapore Page! This is the place where I call home, it's a small island but it's my haven for the longest time. This place has been desribed as the 'best page' in VT, 'an ode to gastronomy' by some of my readers so I hope you enjoy reading it as much as they have. And if you spot anything that requires my clarification, just pop a line to me.

Food Haven

Many of my readers have commented that I live in food haven. Yes I do and I don't deny that my page is very food-focused ! Like many Singaporeans, I live for good food and the next buffet! Yup, we're all spoilt for choices over here as there is a rich variety of food due to our many cultures and races. Do check out my guide to the delicious grubs in town. They range from chi-chi places to good budget bets. Honestly, if you haven't indulged in the local grub over here, you haven't really been to Singapore...

Rainforest Haven

Other than food, Singapore offers other surprising delights. For example, did you know that Singapore is the only city in the world besides Rio de Janeiro (that's in Brazil) that has a rainforest within the city? Or that Suntec City actually has the world's biggest fountain? We also have the biggest version of Madonna's spiky bra, but that's another story altogether. Read more from my off beaten path tales to find out more....

• Pros:Potpurri of Cultures, Low Crime Rate , and of course excellent Food
  • Cons:Fines for everything , high cost of living , changing environment
  • In a nutshell:A clean and nice place to experience the whole of Asia
  • Last visit to Singapore: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2007

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Fantastic writing style! I love when people tell little stories or explain their experiences more than just the how, what, and where. I suppose my favorite part of finding cool people on VT is how nice it is to live vicariously through their experience, in case I might not make it to EVERY destination I desire in life! Thanks again!

• cyndymc's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Thanks for a very well-written travel guide on Singapore. I found do many helpful tips that will help me when I visit my daughter who is working there.

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Hello Glen, Outstanding pages. Thanks for the virtual tour. Tomas Eriksson :)

• Aug 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Why would anybody quote a price in a currency other than the one in use locally? Firstly, the entire world is not American. Secondly, exchange rates fluctuate, so a figure in a foreign currency is useless.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM

Great tips Glen! Looking forward to my visit to Singapore!!!

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 3:01 AM

Alternateuniverse: LOL, everyone knows well enough not to take whatever I write literally. It's supposed to be funny so do read in between the lines..

• Jun 4, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Uh, you won't get fined if you chew bubblegum in Singapore. That's legal. You will only get fined if you're caught SELLING bubblegum.

• May 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Your posts are very helpful! me and my husband are planning to go to Singapore in July..

• ECYM's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM

pls note that the Imperial Herbal Restaurant at Metropole Hotel has moved to Vivocity http://www.imperialherbal.com/

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 8:48 PM

I can't do Chimay on a pils budget so the NSS sounds supreme!

bpacker Used To Live Here!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore