"Seongsun Sunrise Festival at Cheju" Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju-do by bpacker

Jeju-do Travel Guide: 325 reviews and 917 photos

Jeju-do, Honeymoon Island

Don't give Jeju-do a miss just because you think the island is littered with love-sick couples and cheesy tourist attractions. It's possible to avoid the chedder if you go to places that are off the beaten track.
The island has plenty of those as the land area is reputedly bigger than Singapore. Then again, just about anywhere is bigger than my hometown...
Back to where I was saying, Cheju has a large land area with lots of dreamy, surreal landscapes that you won't find on the peninsula. One minute, you're walking in summery, flowered fields and in another, you're in a snowy field somewhere else . Unfortunately, most of these places are not along your usual bus routes. You'll need to hire a car to explore these places and some hangul (korean language)literacy . But don't be disheartened, most tourist sites have signs in English, Chinese and Korean so driving around is not a problem.
Besides, you can ask for directions at any gas station if you're lost. The locals here are more accustomed to English-speaking tourists and they're nicer and more down-to earth compared to the urban mainlanders. I found myself enjoying the local interactions and culture more than I ever did on the peninsula.
I saw a full display of their culture at the Seongsan Sunrise Festival and I counted myself very lucky to have witnessed it.
Where else in the world can you celebrate the start of a new year by dancing at the site of a volcanic crater? The festival was the main reason why I went to Cheju in the first place. No, I didn't go there just to see the phallic shaped stones that the Island is famous for, I went there to see the dawn of a new year in the most beautiful way I know....

Celebrating the New Year at a Volcanic Crater

Join the merry making locals and dance away the whole night long till the dawn of a New Year. For more details, refer to my travelogue.

Walk through Snowy Fields in Winter

Climb Korea's highest peak if you have the energy or if you are fit enough. Mount Hallasan is a sight to behold, especially in winter.

• Pros:surreal and diverse natural beauty, good food at any town, easy to drive around
  • Cons:admission fees at every tourist spot, cheesy tourist phar
  • In a nutshell:Mythical place with diverse scenary and nice folks
  • Last visit to Jeju-do: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2005

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Love your Lava cave tip...happy travels...happy running...happy riding! You're soooo Cool!

• Sep 24, 2006 at 2:51 PM

I think you have a nice style of writing your travelogues. Enjoy reading your pages on Cheju :)

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 10:38 PM

What to do in Jeju-do, eating black skinned pig, with a brew or two // S'wine advice from Forest Rump ;~)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 6:15 AM

Looks like an interesting island to visit. I bet there are some good birds there too. Did you have a chance to do any birdwatching?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 2:03 AM

Another highly interesting and entertaining page! If I ever go there, I'll be sure to stay in a minbak and try a hefty portion of "brack wee wee".

• ant1606's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 10:27 AM

Good tip on Cheju. Gotta try the cave.... Ciao - Ant

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM

Really nice photos. Loved your tip on the caves! Thank you for sharing. Ash & Eve

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 11:29 AM

Hi Glenda, great page! Your experience of ordering food reminds me of when i was in China, I had to go and point at another guests dinner and hold up 1 finger to show I wanted 1 portion of that!

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 6:14 PM

Hi Glenda good info here and top 5 in this area. Any idea what is the voltage in SK. 110 V or 240 V?. Thanks.

• jckim's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 12:27 AM

Hey! You have alot of awsome pix Glenda! :) great help to Jeju-do travel tips and Interesting opinion... how taste Black Pork ? hahaha.... have fun!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Jeju-do

Have you been to Jeju-do?

Latest Activity in Jeju-do