"Seongsun Sunrise Festival at Cheju" Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju-do by bpacker
Jeju-do Travel Guide: 346 reviews and 1,067 photos
Don't give Jeju-do a miss just because you think the island is littered with love-sick couples and cheesy tourist attractions. It's possible to avoid the chedder if you go to places that are off the beaten track.
The island has plenty of those as the land area is reputedly bigger than Singapore. Then again, just about anywhere is bigger than my hometown...
Back to where I was saying, Cheju has a large land area with lots of dreamy, surreal landscapes that you won't find on the peninsula. One minute, you're walking in summery, flowered fields and in another, you're in a snowy field somewhere else . Unfortunately, most of these places are not along your usual bus routes. You'll need to hire a car to explore these places and some hangul (korean language)literacy . But don't be disheartened, most tourist sites have signs in English, Chinese and Korean so driving around is not a problem.
Besides, you can ask for directions at any gas station if you're lost. The locals here are more accustomed to English-speaking tourists and they're nicer and more down-to earth compared to the urban mainlanders. I found myself enjoying the local interactions and culture more than I ever did on the peninsula.
I saw a full display of their culture at the Seongsan Sunrise Festival and I counted myself very lucky to have witnessed it.
Where else in the world can you celebrate the start of a new year by dancing at the site of a volcanic crater? The festival was the main reason why I went to Cheju in the first place. No, I didn't go there just to see the phallic shaped stones that the Island is famous for, I went there to see the dawn of a new year in the most beautiful way I know....
Join the merry making locals and dance away the whole night long till the dawn of a New Year. For more details, refer to my travelogue.
Climb Korea's highest peak if you have the energy or if you are fit enough. Mount Hallasan is a sight to behold, especially in winter.
- Pros:surreal and diverse natural beauty, good food at any town, easy to drive around
- Cons:admission fees at every tourist spot, cheesy tourist phar
- In a nutshell:Mythical place with diverse scenary and nice folks
Now, I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone since the journey to Cheju by ferry is long, ardous and it drives a... more travel advice
The best way to get to Jeju is by plane. And once you're in Korea, taking a plane is pretty much like taking the subway.... more travel advice
- See All Of Pirates, Hockey Players and Left hand...
- Eat and dance all night long
- See All Cute Korean dogs
bpacker's Related Pages
Jeju-do Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seongsun Sunrise Festival at Cheju"
- "Jeju-do: Island of Love and Oranges"
- "Jeju-do, Island of Stones, Wind, Womans"
- "Paradise on earth!"
- "Cheju - Honeymoon Island"
- "Jeju_the island with endless beaches"
- "Jeju Island - Korea's Pearl"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jeju-do
- Hotels in Jeju-do
- Transportation in Jeju-do
- Nightlife in Jeju-do
- Restaurants in Jeju-do
- Shopping in Jeju-do
- Warnings and Dangers in Jeju-do
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jeju-do
- 23 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Jeju-do?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jeju-do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues