"Bruges Beyond Kitsch" Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge by bpacker
Brugge Travel Guide: 2,693 reviews and 7,082 photos
At first glance, the whole of Bruges appears to be a Flemish Disneyland. It's full of kitschy but beautiful European scenary, horse carriages that go clippity-clop on its cobblestone streets and irritating tourists who read maps in the middle of nowhere. Initially, I thought I've made a bad choice to come here. Afterall, I had taken a couple days off alone to recuperate from my role as a corporate wife. You know...endless rounds of corporate dinners and silly banter with the sorta folks I wouldn't be caught dead with, esp without Prozac.
Anyway, I was damm glad to be wrong . Bruges proved to be a great place to escape to. It has great beer, chocolates and amazing Flemish art . What more could an escapee ask for ? I stayed for two whole days and took my time to absorb the sights, sounds and smells of this little medieval town. And yes, I drank all the beer I wanted like a pirate , ate all the fantastic dark chocolate like a true addict and absorbed all the lovely art till my eyes popped before returning to Paris. Lurverly...
The "real" Bruges, I discovered is found only at night . It is especially lovely and serene when most of the tourists have gone home! Suddenly this place becomes the medieval little place it is meant to be, all stillness and stone houses lit with twinkly lights by the canals, all for you...
Well, since I'm not a bat, I couldn't keep retreating indoors when the light was out. So I did the next best thing, I climbed towers and buildings to get away from it all! Of course, in between climbing, I sang Carole King's song in a loud and lusty fashion...
When this old world starts a getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
I'll climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there the world below don’t bother me, no, no
So when I come home feeling tired and beat
I'll go up where the air is fresh and sweet
I'll get far away from the hustling crowd
And all the rat-race noise down in the street
On the roof, that's the only place I know
Look at the city, baby
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let's go up on the roof.......
I don't normally sing while climbing towers so I'm quite sure the beer got to me. Their home brew, Straffe Hendrike, is sure strong...
- Pros:Beer, Chocolates, Art, Beer, Chocolates, Art, Beer, Chocolates, Beer, Art, Chocolates
- Cons:Kitschy Tourist Scenary
- In a nutshell:More than just Canals
Ah, so you're here in Bruges , Belgium and you've drank her beers and devoured all the chocolates you can lay your hands... more travel advice
The cafes in Bruges are charming. It's quite a pleasure to settle down to breakfast as sunlight filters down into the... more travel advice
- See All Market Day in Grote Markt on Wed
- See All A single room over here looks like...
- See All Travelling Between Brussels and Bruges...
- Quiet Stillness in Bruges
bpacker's Related Pages
Brugge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brugge - The promise of things to come"
- "Bruges Beyond Kitsch"
- "Charming just Charming"
- "Brugge, Venice of the North"
- "Brugge die Schone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brugge
- Hotels in Brugge
- Transportation in Brugge
- Nightlife in Brugge
- Restaurants in Brugge
- Shopping in Brugge
- Warnings and Dangers in Brugge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brugge
- 55 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Brugge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brugge
Photos in BruggeSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues