"Journey Along the Arctic Highway" Top 5 Page for this destination Rovaniemi by bpacker

Rovaniemi Travel Guide: 354 reviews and 728 photos

Rovaniemi

It was a chilly 0c when I stumbled out of the train in Rovaniemi at 8am. The night before, I had taken a train from Helsinki and spent a very restless night sleeping on a very high bunk in a train. Needless to say, I overslept the next morning and was woken up by the train master in Rovaniemi. I stumbled out, groggy with sleep as I tried to find the hotel. And as luck would have it, it was on a hill and a hill becomes a mountain when you have a 10kg backpack! But after that was done, Liz and I went into high-octane mode and checked out Mr Claus and went on an Arctic boat cruise much later to visit a Lapp reindeer farm. It was a good and full day that we spent in Rovaniemi before we proceeded to Lulea, Sweden.

• Pros:Santa Claus! Reindeer! The great Outdoors!
  • Cons:Reindeer Pizza
  • In a nutshell:Best place to make a Christmas wishlist
  • Last visit to Rovaniemi: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2005

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Come to think about it, I'd rather eat the grubs rather than the reindeer pizza. At least it's not gamey tasting.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

This fat cat sure gets around!and the meal worms are much like our NZ huhu grubs - which i mightve tried when i was a child but never now!- nor duck fetus or any other yuk stuff.yr trip to Rovanemi sounds so like mine but mine in the thick of winter!

• zizkov's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Interesting pages - I only reached as far as Oulu (which was very agreeable).

• Mazely's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Hey, girl, what do you have against reindeer pizza??? Now I'm looking forward for it!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 8:46 AM

I did not meet Santa - but again -great memories on this page !

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 3:05 AM

You got the ying, you got the yang. Kudos on eating that thang. Thanks for dropping by, Glen. :)

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 2:32 AM

Looks like the perfect x-mas destination! Great info!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 6:16 PM

Rudolph didn't get me, In Ro-va-nei-ei--mi! (Hum to your favourite Christmas jingle)...

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 7:30 AM

wow! reindeer looks so friendly eating by your hand,Poor liz !But you had much much fun in 0 degree chill.

• Mar 18, 2005 at 2:31 AM

about time i cross the arctic circle...

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Rovaniemi

Have you been to Rovaniemi?

Latest Activity in Rovaniemi