"Journey along the Arctic Highway" Top 5 Page for this destination Narvik by bpacker

Narvik Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 271 photos

Narvik

This is a little mining town at the edge of the world . This was the destination for the incredible Ofotbanen rail journey I took from Lulea, Sweden. This journey was even more amazing than the Norway in a Nutshell tour that I took from Oslo to Bergen. I saw amazing landscapes that I thought only existed in postcards. The destination ain't too bad either. Though a mining town, it has its own charms. After we spent a short time here, we took a bus and left this little place for Bodo.

A town with beautiful misty mountains

Take the harbour area for instance. After witnessing a spectacular sunset, it took me a while to absorb the rest of the scenary. The mountains with little misty clouds and the colourful little warehouses at the water edge...

Incredible Ofotbanen Rail Journey

• Last visit to Narvik: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2005

• mingul's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM

you are so lucky you managed to have taken the Ofotbanen railway. At the time of my visit it had some financial problems and only buses were running. Love the Northern wanderers!Mihnea.Romania

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 4:38 AM

What an amazing train journey! Should venture North aswell one day :).

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 8:26 PM

Every place is beautiful (in it's own way)... even Narvik :~)

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 3:33 PM

I really like your photos -- especially in your Travelogue -- looks like a fantastic train journey -- thanks for the information.

• marcelo15's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 4:24 PM

this is definitely a very beautiful page of narvik. to be in narvik is one of my wishes in the future and of course visit a good friend that i have there...many thanks, and greets from bol. marce.

• jckim's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2005 at 2:54 AM

I wish trip there Narvik one time! specialy rail trip tips!! Have fun

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 2:03 PM

Thanks alot Glenda for such a positive and interesting page about my hometown. Greetings from Narvik !

• Nov 22, 2004 at 6:11 AM

G, it looks a very easy recipe. Can't believe you even have the pic of the fiskesuppe packaging. LOL. I know what to bring for you when we meet in the real world.

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2004 at 10:51 PM

NIce rail trip, Glenda.. I was offered a job up here long ago (in Bodu) I didnt pursue it b-cause all I could think of is having to eat lots and lots of reindeer meat in the dark all winter long. (Countryside is quite stunning, tho' reminds me of Alaska.)

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Narvik