"Beautiful City of Parks and Museums" Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö by bpacker

Malmö Travel Guide: 455 reviews and 989 photos

Malmö , enroute to Stockholm

After Liz and I spent about a week in wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen(!), we reluctantly left the delicious beers, sausages and fun behind so that we could attend a wedding in Frosunda. Where the hell is Frosunda? Yes, I heard you saying that. Liz and I didn't know either so we were actually reluctant to leave . All we know was that it was somewhere in the depths of IKEA land. Perhaps where the cows were. But we didn't care. Our shallow game plan then was to enjoy first and check out places that were actually in the Lonely Planet. After that, we could panic and throw our hands in the air in despair if a planned rendezvous in Stockholm didn't work out. Yes, we were supposed to meet another Singaporean (living in London) in Stockholm so that we could be escorted to the wedding venue. But till then, Malmö(pronounced mahl-mer and not mahl-moe) was our chosen destination. Why? Simply because it was along the way to Stockholm and it was clearly marked on the map. Despite our lame reasoning, it turned out to be a good decision. After a beautifully scenic train ride from Copenhagen Central Station across the Oresund (the watery channel seperating Denmark and Sweden)...

Antiquated Churches and more..

..We descended on a wonderfully quiet place with antiquated churches, parks, castles and museums. Encouraged with our find, Liz and I bought the card with the Duck's ass and toured this beautiful place.

The card with the duck's ass got us unlimited rides on the public buses, entries to many museums including an impressive Renaissance. But what caught our interest most were the parks in the region. They were beautiful post autumn and better still free. Click open my pages to find out more.

• Pros:City of Parks, Museums and Castles
  • Cons:Lots of duck poo in the Parks
  • In a nutshell:Get the Card with the Duck's Ass
  • Last visit to Malmö: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2006

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 2:05 PM

I had not noticed that European kings were green! I must have a closer look! The “Musée océanographique de Monaco” founded by Prince Albert Ist is another Royal establishment housing a lot of aquarium. Great photo of the Stadsbibliotek !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 2:15 AM

Good tip on making local friends: show them photos of the sculptures and ask for directions. I doubt if it will work for me as well as it did for you, but it's worth a try. That train journey across the Øresund Bridge sounds great, though short.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 1:09 PM

On your "party animal" text I'd just like to inform you that Malmö has Scandinavia's largest dance floor at Slagthuset and plenty of night clubs at Möllevången so it's more daytime that's quiet! :)

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Thanks! Its good to be here onVT. Like your page on my hometown by the way! =)

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 5:55 PM

I was here in 2002 and I take my own pictures - now, you're being a little critical of your own museum. Sad! Perhaps you're not a biker? There were so many rare antique bike ad posters and cards on display over here !

• Mar 30, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Vagnmuseet has been closed for over a year. Where DID this picture come from and when? No great loss. It was a dusty, dirty museum that agravated allergies. Now it's another museum of minor significance, even for Malmö.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 2:36 AM

Hey Glenda, Your keen observations and tips written with a personal flare keep the reader wanting more. Great Malmo page, Thanx-Doug (^_^)

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 1:10 AM

Yes, they can stand adult weight. So far we have 2 petrol powered & one electric one. Very fun to ride on. They have rigid frame, so you can imagine your hand and butt have to go thru. May be should get a pocket-HD & waking up the whole town.

• Oct 2, 2005 at 5:43 PM

Hi Glenda, thanks for another interesting and entertaining travelogue! You're truly a gifted writer!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 11:50 PM

I've never known any one that's ornithophobic!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Malmö