"Helsingør, Hamlet's little Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingør by bpacker
Helsingør Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 441 photos
After getting spooked in Roskilde Domkirk, Liz and I took a train to Helsingør next . We were filled with anticipation, afterall, we were once Literature students and we couldn't wait to see the famous castle mentioned by Shakespeare. Ah yes, it wasn't a question to visit or not to visit, we had to see HAMLET"S CASTLE, even without Mel Gibson and his cute tights. For those of you who have zero interest in Shakespeare, this castle was made famous when Shakespere mentioned it in his play on the Prince of Denmark. Of course, in the Bard's tale, the castle is known as Elsinore, which is a lot easier to read than Helsingør with the funny ø. But if you really want to know what is funny, watch Gibson play the prince. He gave comic relief to what was supposed to be a tragedy. The only saving grace was only perhaps his pert backside. But Gibson or no Gibson, Helsingør had lots more to offer. Besides the castle, there were cobbled alleyways, the quintessential Euporean flower market, quaint shops and interesting pockets for 2 Singaporean gals to explore. We explored those things, the castle, visited an art museum along the way before we left for Malmö in Sweden.
If truth be told, there is no evidence that Shakespeare ever saw this sandstone-and-copper castle, but he made it famous in Hamlet! Liz and I explored this castle and found it full of intriguing secret passages and casemates. Even the little gilded chapel inside was fascinating.
Even if you think that modern art is crap, this modern art museum is still worth a visit. This mansion-turned-museum in Humlebaek offers more than just art. The sprawling grounds faces the sea so it makes a lovely place for a picnic, also you can admire the architecture of the old mansion.
- In a nutshell:Quiet Coastal Town with a Beautiful Castle
There's lots of ways to go to Helsingør, but the most common transport, I suppose is by ferry or train. Take your... more travel advice
Contrary to everything you've heard, the real Hamlet never actually lived in Kronborg Castle. Shakespeare used this... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Helsingør Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helsingør, Hamlet's little Hometown"
- "To be or not to be"
- "HELSINGOR OR ELSINOR"
- "Helsingor and Hamlets Castle"
- "Helsingor or Elsinore"
- "Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingør
- Hotels in Helsingør
- Transportation in Helsingør
- Nightlife in Helsingør
- Restaurants in Helsingør
- Shopping in Helsingør
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingør
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsingør
- 21 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Helsingør?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingør
Photos in HelsingørSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues